Adjusting Dr. Bernstein's low-carb instructions for pump users

Hi @Melanie15 - I am not a Bernstein follower, but tried it for a bit and had the same experience you did with “unpredictable CGM swings”. I suspect that most of the swings for me were caused by not figuring out how to bolus for the protein. Bernstein talks about using Humulin R shots to cover the protein, but people on pumps tend to use a dual wave bolus - with the longer square wave covering the protein. I use MDI - for me it is two bolus injections - one for the carbs before the meal and then one about 2hours later for the protein.

Also, it is best for me to have the basal set well before playing with the bolus.

So here are my recommendations in order (you may have already tried this already):

1. Do some basal testing to make sure your basal is set right.
  2. Experiment with bolus split and bolus timing for your higher protein diet.

If you haven’t read it, the book “Think Like a Pancreas” by Gary Scheiner fills in some of the blanks on the whole basal/bolus thing that Bernstein avoids (because he doesn’t like pumps).

Let us know what you have already tried so far. (I am just taking some high level stabs in the dark here.)

Here are some links…

Total Available Glucose (counting carbs, protiens and fats) (thanks to @jack16 for this link)

https://healthonline.washington.edu/document/health_online/pdf/CarbCountingClassALL3_05.pdf

TuDiabetes Tagging group

2 Likes