Am I the only one confused?

Zoe -

I have my profile set so when I log in I click on discussion groups, then under that banner shows “Latest”, “New”, and “Unread” of the discussions that I have yet to read or updates to discussions that I have read or replied to recently.

I hope this helps. Here’s a picture I captured with the snippet tool.

zoe, thats the same way I look at this forum, as I described above. ie, I simply have “discussion Groups” set as my link in the browser, which takes me to the same page you showed in your graphic.

The link to that page is this: https://forum.tudiabetes.org/

And one thing that might get you to just the newest stuff is to edit your preferences options:

Other
Consider topics new when created since I was here last

Automatically track topics I enter
just select the option that meets your request

Thanks, Karen. I just changed my preferences to try that.

Thanks everyone, all your replies help, both emotionally and practically!

1 Like

Discourse is about as diametrically the opposite from “random and confusing” as the folks who designed and wrote the code could make it. I am sure they gave … and continue to give … a lot of thought and refinement into deciding how Discourse functions. How to make a lot of information and capabilities available to you if you want it, while also not annoying you with it if you don’t.

One of the founders, Jeff Atwood, has had enough previous success as one of the founders of the Stack Exchange Q&A sites that he probably could have done just about anything else including just staying at home and playing with his kids. But he was frustrated with the lack of consistency and utility in all the discussion board platforms he bumped up against.

When I get frustrated and annoyed, I grumble a lot and then eventually forget about it and move on. If Jeff gets frustrated enough and he thinks he could do better, he founds a company and tries to do so. Or at least that’s my guess as to how Discourse probably came about.

Why don’t we try starting with the attempts to offer some insight into using the site and then move on from there. Has everyone read Emily’s Getting started on our New Website! post? Did it help? If not, which parts did not help?

What question do you have which you most want answered? What’s the second most vexing question?

Maybe we could help if we approached it this way it might be of some help?

1 Like

Discourse does not use the label “inbox”. It refers to Personal Messages as “Messages” You can view them by selecting one the filter buttons under “Messages” on the left hand side of your profile page.

Thanks for that information.

I think you are referring to the “topic progress” bar which appears on the lower right hand side when you are viewing a topic (aka “discussion”). It is supposed to change as you scroll up or down. It shows your current location relative to the posts in the “discussion”, so when you move from post to post in the discussion it changes to reflect that…

For example, when you are at the first post of thirteen in a discussion it shows

If you scroll down to the sixth post both the number and shaded portion change to show the new location.

The above examples show the usual, collapsed view of the progress bar. If you left click on the bar then it expands to expose the navigation tools.

If it expands “accidentally”, left click on the progress indicator at the bottom you to dismiss it.

I use it to quickly go to either the top or bottom or, occasionally, a specific post (number) in a discussion.

how are you copying elements from the screen, john?

Thanks. By “loading” I mean when you do it the old fashioned way and use the scroll bar to quickly look through posts or lists of threads it loads as you go, kind of like it you are downloading a very large pic with slow internet.

I’m an old dog and don’t like new tricks. This site is confusing enough that I just want to give it up and stop coming here.

again, just go to https://forum.tudiabetes.org/

I feel the same way, Roxanne. Earlier I brought up the list of topics the same way I always do and there were topics on top that hadn’t been commented on in 3 years. I re-booted and they were gone, then just now there they were again. I’m not ready to give up because this site has meant so much to me for so long. I wish it had never been changed. “If it’s not broken don’t fix it.” The techies might love it, and I don’t know what percentage of members that is, but a lot of us don’t fit into that category

3 Likes

That link just leads back to the topic list. The same one I used to click on this thread.

the blue circle numbers are new replies to topics you are following. the green circle numbers are private messages to you. and @karen57 - we are going to allow users the change their names, they will just have to be unique

1 Like

i am the same. i am stopping by way less just because i feel like things are all over the place. the more tech savvy and patient will be having an easier time, i suppose!

1 Like

sorry that wasn’t what you were after.

I am mostly lost but know that I’ll figure it out over time. I find that a lot of links don’t work but I know that they are still fixing things. I check in every day and participate in a few discussions. I will be glad when we mostly get new discussions in the lists rather than old ones. For the most part I think we will eventually be happy with the changes, but some of us old dogs will have to learn some new tricks…

1 Like

@Laddie We’d love to see any new topics you’d like to discuss :smile:
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/

and since we are all learning here, there is no such thing as making “mistakes” as we learn new tricks :strawberry: mmm strawberries

1 Like