Diabetes Blog Week 2015

Today May 11 is the first day of Diabetes Blog Week 2015. Started by Karen Graffeo 5 years ago, it now has a huge number of participants including a number of our members. There is a topic for each day and everyone who participates tries to write a blog post addressing the topic in their own personal way.

Go over and check it out. Try to find posts by people you know. Maybe you want to sign up. It is never too late. I’m trying it out. Perhaps those members who are participating can link their blogs in the Share Your Stories category? I put my first one up.

4 Likes

Thanks for this post! I haven’t blogged in a long time, maybe this will kick-start me again…

Thank you for posting, Like a sponge, I absorb all your posts. They are so informative and I have learned a lot from you. Thank you for this.

Jen, I have missed your blogs.

I’m participating and very excited about it! My first topic post will be up later today. :smiley:

Today is day 2 of Blog week. Today’s prompt is:

Many of us share lots of aspects of our diabetes lives online for the world to see. What are some of the aspects of diabetes that you choose to keep private from the internet? Or from your family and friends? Why is it important to keep it to yourself? (This is not an attempt to get you out of your comfort zone. There is no need to elaborate or tell personal stories related to these aspects. Simply let us know what kinds of stories we will never hear you tell, and why you won’t tell them.)

Pop on over hear to see a [Link List][1] of all the blogs.
[1]: http://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=dblogweek&postid=30Apr2015a

Is that today’s prompt? I hope you’ll be sharing each day’s prompt here, I’ll be sharing it on Twitter. There’s lots of interest in #DBlogWeek there, and perhaps some of our members who don’t have their own blogs would like to participate.

Yes, that is today’s prompt. I posted my blog entry over in Share Your Stories

Today is day 3 of Blog week. Today’s prompt is:

Yesterday we kept stuff in, so today let’s clear stuff out. What is in your diabetic closet that needs to be cleaned out? This can be an actual physical belonging, or it can be something you’re mentally or emotionally hanging on to. Why are you keeping it and why do you need to get rid of it? (Thank you Rick of RA Diabetes for this topic suggestion.)

Today’s challenge is try to find the blog of a TuDiabetes members that you know. And finding my blog does not count since I will be posting an excerpt here.

How about Rick’s?

:smile:

2 Likes

I’ve met @kelly_kunik and she has a good blog

Wow, I didn’t know he had another blog. Rick actually posted at his new blog RaDaibetes for blog week. Check it out.

Today is day 4 of Blog week. Today’s prompt is:

Today let’s talk about changes, in one of two ways. Either tell us what you’d most like to see change about diabetes, in any way. This can be management tools, devices, medications, people’s perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing. OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes. Were they expected or did they surprise you?

Today’s challenge is to find a blog listed on the [Blog Role over at Bittersweet][1] that resonates with you and make a comment on the blog. Whether the blog is hosted here at TuDiabetes or somewhere else doesn’t matter.
[1]: http://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=dblogweek&postid=30Apr2015c

Today is day 5 of Blog week. Today’s prompt is:

Taking a cue from Adam Brown’s recent post, write a post documenting what you eat in a day! Feel free to add links to recommended recipes/shops/whatever. Make it an ideal day or a come-as-you-are day – no judgments either way. (Thank you, Katy of Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes for this topic.)

Today’s challenge is to find a blog with somebody that eats or manages food in a very similar way as yourself and post a comment on their blog. You may find great diversity and even strange foods, but everyone is different. But surprisingly even within such diversity you will find others that are similar, that is what makes the on-line community interesting.

I looked around for maybe 20 minutes and couldn’t find any that looked close to the way I eat. Maybe I’m closer to you Brian, although I’m not as low carb. I allow myself maybe 20-25 grams carb a meal if my bg is near range, usually a slice of homemade bread, corn or beans, a little pasta, small potato, corn tortilla, and very rarely ice cream. But I’m so with you on avoiding the center aisles processed foods, and making large quantity recipes, as most days I need good leftovers because I make a lunch and dinner for my hard working husband to take to work. Here’s a low carb chicken-poblano-cheese casserole I made this week (it was good!) We grow our own poblano peppers in an Earth Box on the deck, and it’s time consuming, but I roast, skin, and freeze them in baggies to use during the year.

I know what you mean. As I looked through things it seems that most people are either at one end of the carb spectrum or another. Nobody is doing sort of medium carb.

And I like that recipe, that is one of my favorite sites as well. I make a larger scale casserole which I call my mexican chicken chili cheese casserole. My son is not a fan of peppers so I take a whole rotisserie chicken and shred it then mix it with chiptole peppers, onions, diced tomatoes, special spices and lots of cheese. It then goes in and bakes. My son can roll it up with tortillas if he wants or sometimes I’ll make a thin cornbread and put a layer on top of the casserole for last part of the bake.

2 Likes

Today is day 6 of [Blog week][1]. Today’s prompt is:

If you have been blogging for a while, what is your favorite sentence or blogpost that you have ever written? Is it diabetes related or just life related? If you are a new blogger and don’t have a favorite yet, tell us what motivated you to start sharing your story by writing a blog? (Thank you [Laddie of Test Guess and Go][2] for suggesting this topic.)

Today’s challenge is to think about what your favorite sentence or think you have written. You don’t have to post it this year, but maybe you will in the near future.
[1]: Bitter~Sweet ™: Sixth Annual Diabetes Blog Week
[2]: http://testguessandgo.com/

Today is day 7 the final day of Blog week. Today’s prompt is:

The very first inspiration for Diabetes Blog Week was to help connect our blogging community, and that continues to be the most important reason it’s held every year. So let’s help foster and continue those connections as we wrap up another Dblog Week. Share a link to a new blog you’ve found or a new friend you’ve made. Or pick a random blog off of the Participant’s List, check it out and share it with us. Let’s take some time today to make new friends.

In addition to today’s prompt there are two other categories of postings:

Diabetes can sure bring some crazy moments. So tell us your Top 3 craziest D related stories! If you can’t think of three, don’t worry. We’re just as happy with one or two . . . . (Thank you Maria M of My Life: A Long Trip with T1D for this topic.)

If you could personify your diabetes or that of your loved one, what would it be like? What would it look like, what would it say, what kind of personality would it have? Use your imagination and feel free to use images, drawings, words, music, etc. to describe it. (Thank you Reva of Type ONEderful for this topic suggestion.)

A summary page of all the blog week prompts with links to all the lists of links is on the Topics Page.

Thanks to Karen Graffeo for this tradition.