Diabetic Mom In the Wild

I love Carey Potash’s discussion on his blog of “Diabetic Sightings in the Wild.” I don’t know why, but I always get excited when I see other Type 1s out in the real world - it makes me feel not quite so alone, I guess…

Today was a truly rare sighting - the Diabetic Mom in the Wild.

The kiddos and I had opted to eat in at McDonalds for lunch so we could enjoy the playland (also known as the germiest playground on earth). My almost 5 year old buddied up immediately with another little guy around the same age, and they played together for a half hour or so. The other guy’s mom was eating with her hubby and two other kids in the restaurant and I was supervising my two in the playland. Then, when Jack’s buddy gets ready to go and runs out to mom, thats when I saw the Minimed hooked on her pants pocket! I wanted to tap on the glass separating us and wave, but I didn’t want to freak her out (you couldn’t see my pump and she would have had no idea what the crazy woman in the playground was getting spun up over!).

The funny thing is, I have seen this other Momma before, but I never have the cajones to talk to her! Just once or twice our paths have crossed, but how do you walk up to someone at craft fair or the commissary and launch into a discussion about diabetes. “Hey baby, is that a pump or are you just happy to see me?” I always have my pump tucked in my pocket, so there is no way she could be seeing mine…

So, if you’re out there Pearl Harbor/Moanalua McDonalds Minimed Mama, I would love to chat with you! This is one of those seasons of my life where there aren’t many other type 1 people in my close circle of friends, and it would be nice to swap stories and let the kiddos play. And hey, we are both Navy wives, right? So we totally have to stick together!

Gives new meaning to personal ads–Pumping Momma Seeks Same!

Hope you run into her again & get to be friends. I just found out that a tech at my vet’s office is Type 1 because I saw her pump. Known her for several years from the vet clinic, but didn’t know she was a fellow diabetic. The pump is a secret handshake.

Melinda, that is so cool! I always keep a plastic baggie in my purse with the TuDiabetes 4x6 cards - if you PM Manny with your name and address, he will send you some - I hope you run into her again!

How freaky… I was at a McD’s yesterday with all of my kids… and there was 5 year old who buddied up to my kids (and a super cute toddler too). Unfortunately I am a LONG way away from you so I know you didn’t see me… lol

I wish I was in Hawaii… I miss my sister :frowning:

Sarah - that is too funny! I guess McD’s is where all the cool moms hang out! Woo Hoo!

Marie - I have some of the cards - I just didn’t have them on me then! Goes to show I need to restock the purse. I have been leaving them in lots of doctor’s office waiting rooms here, but it just seems like there are very few of us Hawaii folks here on the site. I am hoping more will join up!

Gerri - I had a Type 1 suitemate in College, a neighbor when we first moved to Hawaii, but there just don’t seem to be any other Type 1’s around me right now (at least that are in the same place lifestyle wise that I am, with little kids and a deploying husband). Here’s hoping I run into her again, too!

That personal ad comment was hilarious Gerri! HAHA
It’s funny what a kinship you feel when you find out someone is also diabetic. I was thrilled to find out after a few months at my new job that my boss was diabetic too!!

here’s another discussion called “like two ships who pass in the night…”

Last summer, when Eric was still on syringes and therefore a lot more time- and worry-consuming to care fore, I was walking in the main square in downtown Portland when I was stopped by a nice man in his 50s who wanted me to sign a petition for a cause I supported, which I had already signed the day before. When I explained that, he asked if I might be willing to volunteer some of my time. I told him, “If only I could, but I’ve got two young children at home, and the youngest has Type 1 diabetes and I need to stay close by to look after him.” His face lit up and he said, “Really? So do I! Pump or syringes?” I told him that it was syringes for now, but we were looking into pumps, and we fell into a long, involved discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of different pumps, and then moved onto how diabetes care had changed over the forty or so years since his diagnosis (I had to express my awe of his mother’s ability to cope in the absence of modern diabetes care technology). Wound up spending nearly all of my lunch hour with him. It was great!