Going back on the pump

There are SOOOO many threads on here about this topic. I would search through recent threads (we just had one here the other day).

Both the Ping and Revel are good pumps. I have the Revel and have been very happy with it. However, you have to look at all the characteristics of both pumps, talk to users, and determine which pump is best for YOU. For example, the Ping is waterproof, while the Revel is not. If you spend a lot of time around water, the Ping is going to be the pump you want. However, if having an integrated pump/CGM system is important, the Revel may be better. (although I think the Ping will eventually be integrated with the Dexcom).

Things I love about the Revel include the integration of the CGM, the durability of the pump (this baby can take a licking and keep on ticking), the reliability of Medtronic's customer service, the small size, and the fact that I know Medtronic has been making pumps for a long time and delivers a quality product. The menu/interface is quick and easy to use. The Carelink software is excellent.

Things I wish the Revel had include - a larger/more vibrant screen, waterproofness, and remote bolus option (all of which the Ping had).

Consider your total daily dosage. The revel comes in two sizes - one that holds 180 units and another that holds 300 units. The Ping only has a 200 unit reservoir. If you use a lot of insulin, the 300 unit capacity Revel may be a better option for you. You want to have a reservoir that can last you 3 days.

Customer service is a mixed bag and for me that has been the case with every company I've dealt with. I have had no particular issue with Minimed's customer service; when I needed new infusion sets to try, they happily sent me out some, and they were great at hooking me up with a travel loaner when I went out of the country. I really didn't need the rep when I got hooked up and you probably won't either (if you had a pump before, you know what you're doing). To be honest, most of what I learned in terms of operating my pump came from playing around with it and watching YouTube videos.

Speaking of, this kid did a great job comparing the Revel and Ping.