Health Insurance & Gym Discounts

Continuing the discussion from Diabetes and the high cost of gyms:

I’ve been going through some of the older threads and read a few that have complained about health insurance not covering gym memberships. While insurance companies may not directly cover a gym membership, it’s possible that your insurance may belong to a program that offers gym membership discounts. Blue Cross Blue Shield, for example, has a program that looks to be available to several of it’s “flavors” of BCBS called “Well on Target.” It is administered by Healthways, Inc., an independent contractor to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico.

It allows membership to an entire collection of gyms - meaning you can choose which one you want to go to, even when traveling, for $25 (+taxes) a month. Some of them do admittedly normally cost less than $25 a month - but may only normally allow you to visit one specific location. Others I have seen normally have rates closer to $40 a month. The plan also grants “Access to discounts through a nationwide Complementary and Alternative Medicine network of 40,000 health and well-being providers such as massage therapists, personal trainers and nutrition counselors.”

Using the program and going to the gym allows you to earn “Blue Points” From the BCBS website: “If you are eligible for the Blue Points* Program, you can earn valuable Blue Points* when you visit fitness centers in the Fitness Program network. Blue Points* are redeemable for a variety of electronics, health and wellness products, and other rewards.”

I don’t personally use the program as I wasn’t aware of it when I selected the local community center as my choice of places to work out. If I’d known, I might have made a different (less expensive!) choice. I found this program off on a sidebar on my BCBS page when I was looking up claims information and thought it might prove useful to someone. I’m sure other insurance companies have similar programs that might be worth looking for.