How do you know when you need insulin?

I’m really pleased to see you here Jeannie. We have known each other a long time and I think you know my story. I know that many of us “celebrate” our diagnosis with our “Diaversary,” but as I look back I realize this month is my “Insulinversary.” It was five years ago this month that I started insulin. It wasn’t my doctor’s decision, it was my decision. And since that time I have dropped my A1c from struggling in the 6s down to consistently in the 5s. Insulin was by far much more effective than any medication.

The plain fact is that you have diabetes complications and your current level of diabetes control was not good enough to reduce/eliminate the risks of these complications. You have every right to demand access to better control. And I believe we should be able to start insulin when it is warranted for our treatment. We should not have to demonstrate failure on all other treatments. Whatever your meter says or your A1c says (and they both may well be off) it should be clear, better control is needed to help you avoid further and worsening complications.

In my case, medications were almost always pretty useless and I had to not only be insistent about insulin I had to force the decision. I hope that is helpful.

4 Likes