I was Diagnosed With type 1 at Age 3 in 1936 in France

Continuing the discussion from A Secret, Until Now:

I have had t1d since 1936 - I was not yet 3 years old we survived ww2 in france hiding with false papers my mother always had alcohol for sterilizing the syringe & needle while on train & sugar or honey & money or whatever was needed to survive we made it

6 Likes

Shosh, you’ve talked about this some in the chat room, I know you said your mom somehow got your insulin at the American Embassy in Paris. Your story is very compelling. If you would like, we would love to hear more. #BigHugs my friend.

Hello Shoshana, I’m glad to see you are posting on the new TuD!! Thanks for the reply, you are amazing!! :slight_smile:

Woah, linked post, you are way more tech savvy than me, I will msg you if I have questions later!!

And, of course, amazing tale of survival of the fittest!

Great story. Inspiring. When I am down, I read a story about those in WWII. I am thankful and grateful I live in these times.

Amazing Shosh…you were but 7 when Germany occupied France. Your parents lived on nerves!

I think all people with t1 live on nerves…sometimes
If we didn’t, we would not be human
Selfishness is part of survival

2 Likes

Oh yes, please! If it’s not too much of a burden, I’d LOVE to read a detailed post about your life then, and how you all managed. Especially taking care of a diabetic toddler.

In my midyears I acquired an interest in history, particularly WWII history. I hated the subject in high school, thought it was dumbfoundingly boring. Well, there’s no greater truth than “people change”.

Started with reading Flags of Our Fathers many years ago. That set me off. Many many books later, I’ve found a love for the stuff.

Anyhow, your story would be a blessing to the community, Shoshana!

1 Like

Acid, what happened to you? You’ve gone from bad-■■■ rocker to pencil-pushing accountant geek.

Well, judging by your avatar, at least. My day is not starting out well… :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This seems a tiny fragment of what must be a truly profound story. I’m amazed and salute you–and your mother–for surviving such an ordeal, and for still being with us after so long with this disease.

1 Like

Adding my voice to that. Writing can be taxing but I’d be fascinated to hear more. Bravo Shoshana in any case.