Insulin pumps in patients with type 2

I use an insulin pump to control my T2 and I very pleased with it. If you are considering a pump here is an article from an endocrinologist point of view. Use of insulin pumps in patients with type 2 an endocronolgist view

Additional Links added by the TuDiabetes Administration

Type 2s on Insulin Group

New to Insulin Discussion

I've used a pump for 6 years, it is a fantastic tool, and especially helpful for countering dawn phenomenon.

-Lloyd

My insulin needs are quite reduced thus no pumnp but I agree on the comments and have read many comments about how it has resolved issues especially basil/dawn effect.

I just started a CGM (G4) and the Omnipod last month. A1c was 11% on 6/2; started MDI, then moved to the CGM and pump.

I just did an A1cNOW+ this morning and was 6.3%. My goal is 5.5%.

My CGM and Omnipod will be taken from me only ripped from my cold, dead claw.

LOL I'm the same about my pump

Yeah, I feel the same about my pump. Had a freestyle navigator, but they discontinued it :(

-Lloyd

To Gary - Stemwinder:

Thank you for sharing with us. For many reasons I am not on a pump.
That said many supportive reasons from you and the blog clearly show what a valid helpful approach.

Best wishes and special thanks for the excellent comments and data.

I find that article interesting, I agree there are many reasons for a T2 to pump. It seems clear to me the endo writing it considers managing a pump to be his meal ticket. Not once does he mention teaching the diabetic what they need to know to manage their pump on their own.
I've managed my pump on my own, without help from either an endo or GP. My A1c's have been 5,4 or lower with a standard deviation of 17 or better for 6 1/2 years now.

-Lloyd

Same here Lloyd. I manage my pump it does not manage me. I'm the one that daily looks at the finger stick result and I feel I'm the best to make fine adjustments. I do not go against my doctors wishes. He so far trust me to make good decision and I listen to his advice. Its a system that seems to work.

Has any one had hard time getting a pump because of BMI being high?

I have never heard of a low BMI being a requirement for getting a pump. Insurance companies throw up all kinds of thing but I haven't heard of that being one of them.

Is it your insurance or your doctor giving you problems. If its your doctor I suspect he or she is trying to force you to do something as a requirement for getting something you want.