Low carb diets

I saw this on Facebook this morning, I had to smile :slight_smile:

The new study conducted by Virta Health shows dramatic improvements in type 2 diabetes with a low-carb diet. Many patients were even able to completely quit diabetes medications, suggesting that type 2 diabetes is highly reversible:

“It is something we would never previously have known was possible. I was so blown over by the results and we should now think about using this approach as a standard of care as it outperforms current treatment.
– Dr. Sarah Hallberg”

5 Likes

Saw this by Dr. Hallberg on you tube a while ago. She must have been waiting for the study to make it official.

2 Likes

sigh

4 Likes

I’m happy to read that limiting carbs is now seen as beneficial to people with T2D. I just wish they would not over-reach with the reversing diabetes meme. Reversing the symptoms of diabetes is no small thing. Why don’t they stop at that?

7 Likes

Everything today is about sensationalism. Eating good food in reasonable amounts and exercising isn’t sexy or fast enough. People don’t want to hear the truth. They want something quick and easy. Sad.

2 Likes

I agree about " reversing" maybe suspend but it is never gone if you gain weight it comes back as it is in your genes. Nancy

1 Like

Forget the weight - it’s not gone if you return to bad eating habits. I agree - beneficial is not the same as reversing.

3 Likes

Low carb helps. Wow. Duh.

4 Likes

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do ‘this!’

doctor: Ok, don’t do that!

4 Likes

Have I told you lately how much I hate the ‘Reversing’ and ‘Cure/Cured’ crap??
At the last diabetes seminar I attended during the Q/A at the end the pharmacist, DE, and Dietitian all told everyone that there isn’t a cure, that you can’t reverse. That you can only try gain and maintain control. That once a diabetic you’ll always be one. When will fools ever learn??

2 Likes

Yes. VERY irritating – and, IMO dangerous. It furthers the shame and blame game – after all, even IF you didn’t get T2D by your own actions, it’s “clearly” in your hands to “reverse it.” Still “your” fault!

Worst part: The best known strategies to date don’t work to even effectively manager Type 2 diabetes is some people – and those people are NOT an insignificant percentage of all people with T2D!

1 Like

No matter what we do it’s going to be our fault. And when we manage to get into ‘normal’ ranges and somehow maintain that for a few years ‘you’re cured’. You don’t have anything to worry about. You don’t have it anymore. What do you mean you have to still go see a podiatrist every three months because of your feet, eye doctor once a year etc? You’re cured.

Yeah right. I’ve had questions similar to that by people who has it running in family. Unable to understand how it could affect feet, isn’t that a leg thing? Oh, you mean you still have to watch what you eat, do reads, count carbs? But you’re cured, you don’t need to worry about anything. And again, coming from people that diabetes runs in family.

Way too many actually believe the ‘reversals’, ‘cures’ and whatever else is there. And they’re more than glad to offer the advice because they saw on television, read in a magazine, heard of a radio program all about diabetes. Ah, okay. Nice to hear that. Wait a minute. I just saw someone that could use your help with something else you were talking about. Right over there.

1 Like

Hey @Georgia_boy, glad to see you! I’m not sure if you ever saw this post from our lead admin @Brian_BSC

I know it’s an uphill battle, combating the misinformation and ignorance, but keep on advocating for PWDs!!

1 Like

Sad thing is that I’ve had comments like that from people with relatives that have diabetes. And when I explain things that yes, my A1C’s are in ‘normal’ ranges but still have diabetes and have to keep an eye on what I can/cannot do I get those ‘headlight in the eyes’ look. Light’s on but nobody home time.

And when trying to explain why I have to go every three months to see a podiatrist and that I have nerve damage they can’t understand that I can have that in the feet that they thought always in the legs. Or they can’t understand why I can eat things that they thought a diabetic shouldn’t. Don’t understand that I’m able to do so in moderations and not so often as I would like to. Get that ‘oh, you can’t have this can you?’

Or the ‘how many calories are you eating?’ Beats me. I have enough counting carbs, sodium, sugars and what have you. Don’t have time for calories too. Then I smile and walk off as they try to figure that one out. Cruel maybe but hey what the hell. Besides it’s true. :wink:

But there’s so much misinformation out there that it’s not even funny. Stuff that has been there for years and people should have had that cleared up in minds years ago but still there and people believing it for truth.

And then we have the ‘food cops’. Bad enough we have at home but then you have to put up with on the outside as well. Sometimes makes you want to grab a sign and wear it saying, " I know what I’m doing, leave me be." :grin:

1 Like

We call those people the Diabetes Police.

And it’s not really giving anything away to mention that people are forever trying to join as members here who don’t have diabetes and are just trying to advertise their own pet “cure”, which usually requires you to spend money—with them, of course. You generally don’t see those because the Administration Team blocks them before they can clutter the site with their snake oil propaganda.

4 Likes

That’s good. I hate ‘snake oil’ and their sales pitches. Family though can be some of the worst ‘Diabetes Police’ though. And although meaning well they can try sooo harrrd to help you ‘control’ it. And when you do have under control and maintaining sometimes not enough when they see what’s happening to someone else. So worried it will happen to you, although you say you have the DE’s, Doctors, Dietitian and yourself very happy with the A1C reads and your daily reads it’s hard to make understand that you’re fine not to worry.

Nor easy to explain why you’ll high reads with something then it’ll go down and look good for a while and then shoot back up in high reads again. Or eat something that will give you good reads one time and next time very exact same thing will give you a high read. Told her that it’s like that scene in Forrest Gump with the box of chocolates. That you don’t know what you’re going to get until you do the test. It’s a surprise most of the times. Didn’t like that nor when I told her what the dietitian said about being diabetic that it’s going to happen.
:grin:

But those snake oil pushers I’ve seen in a lot of places. Hate it. When I was first dx I had someone that sent me an email with a link in it for something that was from an ‘all natural’ site. Someplace that he got his oils etc from.
I read the ingredients that they did list(made me wonder what was left out) and most said never tested on humans or tested once. Was guaranteed to lower glucose. Told him thanks for the thought but I was sticking with what I was given and go that route.

Cheers to the admin team for keeping the shysters away :slight_smile:

8 Likes