What is the best sushi for Type 2?

I love sushi but am a new T2 taking 500 mg metformin to bring my levels down, how bad is it and what are a few good substitutes or recipes please anyone

2 Likes

here’s a recipe from our lead admin @Brian_BSC

4 Likes

Mmmmmm, saw the picture, that looks amazing. What is the orange component? So it boils down to No rice at all I’m guessing then:( not even Brown rice:(
OK then. Go figure

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard you can also make sushi rolls with cauliflower rice. I intend to try it one of these days.

2 Likes

Mmmmmm that sounds interesting. I would love to see what that looks like. I’m use to making my own sushi so I’m familiar with the techniques. But Cauliflower rice? Sounds awesome. Eager to try that one

1 Like

In the first picture, orange is salmon. In the second I think it is carrot (or maybe daikon). I just make it up with whatever ingredients I have on hand and buy that day.

1 Like

carrot and mango w shrimp

3 Likes

Ricing cauliflower is easy. I do it like this: cut into small pieces, then put in metal bladed food chopper or processor, and process to the consistency you desire.

Better tasting if you sauté it just a bit in olive oil or butter, before cooking in water. The sauté-ing brings out the “nutty” cauliflower flavor.

Like @David_dns has a penchant for red peppers and cinnamon roll pancakes :slight_smile:,
I am all over cauliflower!
Have it every night I cook at home.

Oh, and there’s always sashimi! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The “best” sushi for someone with D (regardless of type) is sushi without rice.

We no longer have the following foods in our house: bread (with the occasional loaf of Dave’s Killer Bread or challah during the holidays), pasta, rice, potatoes (with the exception of latkes during Hanukkah), breakfast cereal, oatmeal, pizza. Fruit is limited to one small serving per day. LCHF (low-carb/high fat) is the way to live.

2 Likes

I think “shashimi” is without rice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. Sashimi is slabs of raw fish. Yum yum. No rice at all!

Plus you can put sauces on it. If they are not sugar-based!!!

Good question. Alot of Japanese food has sugar mixed in, including sushi rice.
When I eat out, I might eat 1-2 pieces of my partner’s sushi, but I focus my meal on miso soup, edamamame, and a salad with spicy tuna on top.

You are right @Deborah3, sushi rice does have sugar in it. And a typical single piece of make sushi has 6 gram of carbs. They come in a whole roll with six pieces for a total of 36 grams of carbs. Like you that is just too many carbs for me. I also like the miso soup and seaweed salad and usually get sashimi even if it is a bit more expensive (but then again I hardly ever eat out).

With sushi, there is issue of sugar + white rice. The seaweed salad clearly has a sugary dressing, as is the glaze on teriyaki dishes.Sukiyaki broth: very sugary!
Since learning all this, I seldom go out for Japanese food.

I’ve had restaurant sushi that’s made without rice but using cucumber slices and other ingredients to make rolls (so, not sashimi). It’s not quite the same, but as someone who isn’t that into rice anyway, I enjoy it. Not that many places make that style though. Maybe more places will as low carb diets continue to be popular.

I love sushi, but agree with the others here, the sushi rice can be difficult. I’m T1 and don’t use metformin, but I have good success with limiting sushi rice and bolusing on the assumption that it has 1.5x carbs regular rice. Also, if you’re at a restaurant instead of at home, just assume the sauces are potential bg-killers and bolus aggresively.
Excellent recipe ideas in this discussion!

If one were to use actual rice, a parboiled rice is best, as the process removes much of the starch (which converts to glucose in your your body).

1 Like

Yeah, it seems like sushi would be one of the easiest to do without carbs – you just have to stick with sashimi. I’m not low carb at all, but I LOVE the sushi rice and the idea of putting brown rice in sushi is kind of depressing IMHO. I’d rather just not have any rice at all.

Not sure if you have Alvarado Bakery bread available where you are, but we recently found a super sprouted variety of that brand where two pieces of toast had 12 net carbs. It tastes pretty much the same as normal “healthy style” bread. We now don’t think twice to give our son a whole sandwich for lunch knowing that it has the same number of carbs as a typical low-carb single slice. We are definitely not low carb though; not sure how low your daughter’s total carb intake is but a 12g sandwich may be over her limit too.

Sushi is something I really felt like I had to give up for a long time while novolog was the only tool in my belt. It was a wild shot in the dark to try to dose for it. I really missed it. It’s back in my life now on a regular basis with afrezza though. I don’t bother to try to carb count and I eat to my hearts content-- I just pop an 8 20 minutes after I start eating and test my bg at 1 and 2 hours. Frequently I’ll be modestly elevated at 2 hours (very rarely at 1) with it and I’ll toot another 4 if that’s the case and go on with my business.

1 Like