05-13:My pictorial BG rollercoaster

Download 05-13.bmp

Interesting 8 days.

I reeeeaaally need to get this under control.

Emma—my bs has been ping ponging all over the place lately too… really when looking at yours, i dont think it is all that bad… just a few blunders—i think positive most of the time—most important thing is to figure out what is causing you to go high (carb count errors, forgot to take a shot, took the shot too late, etc) …once you figure that out, the rest is pretty easy.

I don’t think it’s actually food related some of the time… it’s rising even when I don’t eat. My school is crazy though I am a fair bit stressed 'cause I’m just starting GCSEs as well. I think I’m averaging at too high though 'cause I start to feel low at 5 mmol/l. hmm. I don’t like school!!

I totally understand…i never liked school either…and stress can have a big impact on BS. Maybe you need more long acting insulin— have you considered a pump—i got my first one when i was 19, best thing i ever did for myself. Insurance can be crazy… i’ll keep rooting for you. good luck.

Emma,
Controlling Diabetes is very challenging. Even after 31 years and using the latest technologies (pump & CGMS) I still have bad days.

Some people (I’m one of them) tend to beat themselves up if they don’t achieve perfection. And that self-induced stress can actually make BG control worse. I’ve learned to mellow over the years and realize that I’ll never achieve perfect control. When I have a bad day (or days) I just accept it and try to do my best the next day.

Remember, the goal is to maximize your time in the target range. No one achieves that 100% of the time. You are doing very well for such a new Diabetic. Keep up the good work.