10 Things I Hate About You Diabetes

1) I beep. Every time I turn around, I beep. I beep in the middle of the night. I beep when I am trying to have some quiet reading time. I beeped when I was trying to write this post. I even beep in my dreams now.

2) You make me plan ahead. I can never be 100% spontaneous. If I go someplace, I have to make sure I have insulin, test strips and glucose with me. If I am going to be active, I have to check my BS first to make sure I won’t drop low during the activity and take the time to eat something if needed. I can’t just have fun without thinking about my BS first.

3) You make me see a doctor every 3 months just so I can get a script for the insulin I need to stay alive.

4) You are expensive. I would hate to add up all the money I have spent over the last 27 years on insulin, syringes, pen needles, pump supplies, Dexcom supplies, glucose tablets and even those wasted doctors appointments in number 3. If I had all that money, I could take that dream vacation to Ireland and have the time of my life visiting old places that my ancestors came from. Oh, I forgot, I am afraid to fly – guess I would have to find something else to spend all that money on!

5) You scare my dog. Alex goes under the bed when I beep at night. I really think he knows those beeps mean my BS is low. He doesn’t like when I pass out, especially when it happens before I feed him in the mornings. I can see his little brain thinking, “here we go again” when those beeps start.

6) You are just a mess. Sometimes I squirt gushers of blood when I just need a tiny drop of blood for that test strip and get blood everywhere. I find test strips all over the place. I drop Smarties everywhere. There are little pieces of the green plaid topping of the Flexifix tape everywhere. I used to be a neat person.

7) You take up too much space. I have a drawer in the kitchen filled with diabetes stuff. I have a drawer in the refrigerator filled with insulin. I have 2 shelves in my linen closet with test strips, Dexcom and pump supplies. I have containers in both my living room and bedroom filled with Smarties in case of a low. I always have my meter, lancet and insulin pens someplace close. I keep Smarties in my purse. I have CDs for all the diabetes software on my computer. I have manuals for all the gadgets I have. Just think about how much less stuff I would have if I could get rid of all that diabetes junk.

8 ) You make me get up early. Sometimes a girl would just like to sleep late, but no, I have to set my alarm so I can take insulin.

.![|300x100](upload://dW4AgGohkyHH3b85uDsmysZrAVb.gif)
9) You give me bruises. Do you know how many doctors and nurses have questioned the bruises on my arms because they think someone was beating me up?

10) I need a scale, calculator and a clock just to eat. One serving size is 5 ounces and 4 grams of carbs. I am having 4 ounces, how many carbs is that? I am eating at 10:45 AM. Should I use my breakfast carb ratio of 1:6 or my lunch carb ratio of 1:12? Putting peanut butter on those crackers? If I want to use TAG, now I have to know the carbs, protein and fat to come up with how much insulin I should take. Oh crap, my BS is 130 so now I have to take a correction bolus also. Has it been 20 minutes yet since I took my insulin?

This post is my Thursday, May 12th entry for the 2nd Annual Blog Week. You can check out more posts at Bitter~Sweet.

I Empathize fully after 50 years

lol that is so true!! very good.thanks!!

Fantastic list! I do not have to deal with some of those but there is probably 10 points that I could think of. Including the Funny comics in your blog, seems to ease the difficult items a bit. I particularly like number 5. :smiley: Good work!

Thanks Jupton & Dean. Terrie, I think I spent more time looking for the pics than I did writingit.