100 Days, 100 Chefs, 100 Recipes

Mueva la barra lateral para leer el texto en español

The next November 14 will be celebrated throughout the world the “World Diabetes Day” with different activities, some of them via the Internet. On one hand I read about the controversy of who should take the upper hand in what the diabetic should eat: the doctors?, the nutritionists?, the chefs?. These are three professionals with different points of view on what we take to our mouth.

The doctors know and they should take control, but do not have time to explain to the patient, so some doctors will only refer the patient with the nutritionist. This professional knows about ingredients, quantities and portions, and develop a “personalized diet" based on information provided by the doctor, but this diet is “cold”, no joke, tasteless, no seasoning. The chefs are trained to prepare dishes based on ingredients that are provided to them, and turn those into real “art”, not only in sight, but because it involves the other 4 senses: sound, taste, smell, tact.

Furthermore, looking at some cybernetic activities about the “World Diabetes Day” I have noticed that there is little participation of professionals in the preparation of dishes, that is “the chefs”. The different associations of diabetics, and health institutions make recommendations on what to eat when you go to a restaurant and that 20% of the population are diabetics, and half of them do not know, so a fifth of those clients that regularly attend the restaurants are diabetics. In some restaurants there is a section of “children’s menú”, other menus bring “light food”, but I have not yet to see a section of dishes “low carb”.

And that is why I happened to have the “Crazy Idea” to interview 100 chefs, with a little about its origins, its history, its perspective and its relationship with diabetes: family history, clients served, menus prepared etc. . and that this individual gave us a recipe “apt for diabetics”, nothing sophisticated, simple, that people who cook for diabetics, whether mothers, wives or the same diabetics cooking for themselves or others, that diabetic could understand and do. I will publish one interview a day until the November 13, and the summary will be published on the 14 with the of 100 recipes, out of the intervieuws.

And if we count back starting November 13, the first day of the first interview is next August 6. The logo for this event is still in development, the interviews are already advanced and it has good sensitivity and disposition from the chefs, which is expected to be very interesting.

English version translated be my
Sorry for my english, but I think in spanish and I am lerning english yet

El próximo 14 de noviembre se celebrará en todo el mundo el “Día Mundial De La Diabetes” con diferentes actividades, muchas de ellas presenciales y otras vía Internet. Por un lado he leído sobre la polémica de quién debe llevar la voz cantante en cuanto a lo que debe comer el diabético: ¿los médicos?, ¿los nutriólogos?, ¿los chefs?. Son tres profesionales con diferentes puntos de vista sobre lo que uno se lleva a la boca.

Los médicos saben y son los que deberían llevar el control, pero no tienen tiempo de explicar al paciente, por lo que solo algunos médicos remiten al paciente con el nutriologo. Este profesionista sabe de ingredientes, cantidades y pociones, y elaboran una “dieta personalizada” en base a la información que le proporciona el medico, pero es una dieta “fría”, sin chiste, sin sabor, sin condimento. Los chefs son entrenados para elaborar platillos en base a los ingredientes que se le proporcione y hacer con ellos verdaderas “obras de arte” no solo por la vista, sino porque involucra a los otros 4 sentidos: el sonido, el gusto, el olfato, el tacto.

Por otro lado, echándole un vistazo a algunas actividades cibernéticas sobre el “Día Mundial De La Diabetes” me he dado cuenta que hay muy poca participación de “Los profesionales en la elaboración de platillos” o sea los chefs. Las diferentes asociaciones de diabéticos, e instituciones de salud hacen recomendaciones de qué comer en caso de ir a un restaurante ya que 20% de la población es diabética y la mitad de ellos no los sabe, por lo que una quinta parte de los comenzales que asisten regularmente a los restaurantes son diabéticos. En algunos restaurantes hay una sección en el menú para niños, otros traen menús “light”, pero todavía no me ha tocado ver una sección de platillos “bajos en carbohidratos”.

Y es por eso que se me ha ocurrido la “Loca Idea” de entrevistar a 100 chefs, un poco con respecto a sus orígenes, su trayectoria, su perspectiva y su relación con la diabetes: antecedentes familiares, clientes atendidos, menús elaborados, etc. y que además dicho personaje nos obsequie una receta “apta para diabéticos”; nada sofisticado, sencilla, que las personas que cocinan para los diabéticos, ya sean mamás, esposas o los mismos diabéticos que se cocinan para si mismos o para otros diabéticos las puedan entender y hacer. Las entrevistas las iré publicando una por día hasta terminar el 13 de Noviembre, ya que el 14 saldrá publicado el resumen de las 100 recetas.

Y si sabemos contar para atrás empezando el 13 de noviembre, el primer día de la primera entrevista es el 6 de Agosto próximo. El logo para este evento esta todavía en elaboración, las entrevistas ya están avanzadas y sí ha habido sensibilidad y buena dispocición de parte de los chefs, por lo que se preve que será una actividad muy interesante.

Great idea!!! My husband is a Chef and we own a few Restaraunts here in the Panhandle of FL. We are on the Gulf Coast so we have a wonderful selection of FRESH Seafood. We will be glad to help in any way and he is at your disposal for questions. I am very lucky to have him as I had NO idea about food. Carbs, quantities and all that language was very foreign to me. (I am not a cook). So, good luck and we are here to help!!
Shelley

Hi Shelley:
Thanks for you words. The web adress for to read the posts is: http://paragentedesangredulce.blogspot.com and the first post is: 100 Días, 100 Chefs, 100 Recetas, Día 1 Guy Santoro http://paragentedesangredulce.blogspot.com/2009/08/100-dias-100-chefs-100-recetas-dia-1.html The traduction is not ready.
I’ll return quickly
Raulillo from Tijuana

Raúl Barba Alhadro
raulillo_ok@yahoo.com.mx
raulillo.ok@gmail.com
raulillo_ok@hotmail.com

Today an australian diabetic chef:

100 Days, 100 Chefs, 100 Recipes: Day 2 Matthew Goudge

We Begin with a french chef working in Mexico City:
100 Días, 100 Chefs, 100 Recetas, Día 1 Guy Santoro

Una receta sencilla pero vistosa la del Chef Giovanni Romero: http://paragentedesangredulce.blogspot.com/2009/08/100-dias-100-chefs-100-recetas-dia-7.html

Day 18 Ben Diaz: Roasted Wild Mushroom Soup

Day 5 Philippe Piel: Shrimp and Carrot Salad in Citrus Vinaigrette
I’ll return quickly
Raulillo From Tijuana

Day 7 Giovanni Romero: tuna tartar for 6
I’ll return quickly
Raulillo from Tijuana

GREAT Idea! I Love to cook and will be looking at the recipes as soon as I hit “send” on this comment, I’m looking forward to incorporating 100 NEW and delicious recipes into my arsenal as tools (weapons?) for the fight against The Big D.