2 calibrations, or one?

OK. Like every other human being, I like to get away with making my life more convenient for ME.

Note - I just replaced a sensor after FOUR WEEKS! (I was trying to beat the record I saw on here of 33 days, but I need to expand and improve my world of adhesive.)

My real question is this: Is there are REAL advantage of testing the blood sugar TWO DIFFERENT times when changing (or pretending to change) sensors? To me it just seems like a waste of a test strip. There is very little difference if one test says 94 and the other says 89. I say just test once and enter that number twice.

Can anyone try to convince me that I ABSOLUTELY MUST do two different tests??

Good luck!!

;)

I put in two readings from one test. The second is always a few points up or down depending on what I think my BG is doing. I don’t see the point of doing two real BG samples.

The sensor I have on now for less than a week is giving me blank lines and question marks every day for hours. I don't know how you guys do it.

My first sensor did the same thing. It's either a bad sensor or a bad site. (I think you can probably get Dexcom to give you a new sensor).

START OVER. End that sensor and put in a new one.

My last sensor lasted for FOUR WEEKS with NO PROBLEMS. It gave readings 24/7. . . . .

I've only used four, but none were as good as that. Maybe it's in the skin. I'm going to give them a call.

I used another cgm before that I did not like, bt it allowed me to have a hip insertion so, even at the gym, no one would know.

My first, BAD, Dexcom sensor was the hip (the side of the butt). The really good one (four weeks) was the abdomen (even though I did;t WANT the abdomen).

Keep in mind that once I knew it worked well, I deliberately tried to make it last. I had to keep putting more and more adhesive on it, and the reason it finally stopped working was because the adhesive was falling off and pulling on the sensor.

Most people on here say that two weeks is the normal amount of time they get (or feel comfortable with) a sensor to last. .

However, like some people on here, I like to push the envelop. . .

The most I got so far (I'm a beginner)is around ten days. Do you get the blank lines and question marks from time to time?

My record is just shy of 10 weeks. Had to change due to infection building at the site. My normal these days is 4 weeks though, much better timing from my experience.

Yes, read 2 times. Some at Dexcom recommend the two readings are 5 minutes apart. The reason is to verify that the Dexcom is reading the change in BG properly. If you put the same reading in twice you mess up the ability for the Dexcom to know how fast you are moving at that time.

Interesting. Not sure I believe they hype, especially when the hype says a sensor should only last a week.

Just shy of TEN WEEKS??? Amazing!!

I only started my third sensor today.

First sensor was what you are describing. Second sensor lasted for 4 weeks with NO lines or question marks. Third sensor in for about 10 hours with no lines or question marks.

If you are getting hour of question marks - I think you should end that sensor.

It may be th location My first one (the bad one) was at the middle of the hip, about two inches below the belt. The third one is at the top of the hip, immediately below the belt line.

I don’t believe the Dex reads how fast you are moving. BG testers can be 20% off from test to test.

I usually do the two tests. On the previous version of the Dexcom (Seven Plus), they specified two tests, one on each side (right/left). It doesn't say that anymore, but that is what I generally do. No idea if it helps or not, but I usually have excellent results from the CGM.

What do you mean?

It certainly does read how fast blood sugar is moving.

You can set a "rising" / "falling" alert for when your blood sugar is moving quickly. . .

Read Scott’s reply about putting in the same reading. I took it that he is inferring the Dex calculates BG movements off those two sticks.