2 T2 Questions

1. If you have managed T2 with Diet/Exercise how long have you managed to do so (HbA1c ?).
    2. If you progressed from oral meds to insulin, how long were you on tablets (5, 10, 20 years ?) before you started shots.
    3. If you have expensive urine (you take plenty of supplements !!!) please also let me know.

Background:
    It is thought that baseline glucose rises slowly over the years in T2, so eventually T2s need to go on meds, as diet/exercise doesn’t work to control D any longer.
    I heard from one Clinician that 5 years (or less) on oral meds is usually the grace period before a T2 needs to start insulin shots.
    Any Comments? Thanks.

YMMV Your Mileage May Vary - every diabetic is different - what works for me may not work for you.

1. If you have managed T2 with Diet/Exercise how long have you managed to do so (HbA1c ?). my honeymoon period was around 4 years with diet exercise then I got lazy/complacent and graduated to oral meds and then more oral meds had Aic of 5.9 once but eventually worked up to high 7’s
  2. If you progressed from oral meds to insulin, how long were you on tablets (5, 10, 20 years ?) before you started shots.
    I’ve been on oral meds in one form or another for I think 8-9 years I was on byetta shots for a period but we were not a good match so I stopped my last a1c was a 6.0 this month
  3. If you have expensive urine (you take plenty of supplements !!!) please also let me know.
    2000 vitamin d; vit B12; glucosamine, calcium adn the occasional multivitamin
  1. 4 months… went from 10.5% to 5.3%.
  2. None.
  3. I guess I take some Powerade Zero every day, for the electrolytes – has Potassium and Vitamin B complex, including some Niacin. It keeps my hydrated, which I can’t do very well with water alone…

Thanks.
My mother was on meds for 10 years before shots. but I know she delayed insulin for a while. she has been good, especially with refined carbs/portion size / exercise (not a zealot by any means !).
but 25 years on she is still complication free at 75.

I managed my BS for decades b4 going on meds, but I avoided doctors with passion. I was forced onto meds by chance. I had stepped on a nail (I am/was a carpenter) and it got bad infected. after 18 months, I went to mexico and bought a ton of antibiotics and took all of them over the course of 6 months and still would not heal. eventually, I was forced to go to the emergency room in kerrville and was immediately hospitalized and surgery to clean the site eventually cleared up the infection and I still have two legs. Anyway, in the course of that crisis, the doctor decided I was diabetic and started me on metforming, a couple of years later added insulin and a year later added regular. last month I was told my pancreas is nearly finished. Don’t be afraid of insulin. It takes about a year to learn how to count carbs and adjust the insulin. I use the dinner plate method it works well, and doesn’t require much time. my control is excellent and I feel great. .
danny w

thanks danny. you must have so active to not have been on those meds for so long !

1. 7 years with the first year on insulin the next 2 with diet and excercise, the next 4 on metformin with different dosages, now on about 1000 mg daily and A1C over the years has been between 6 and 7
  2. 4 years and counting on tablets

for me depending on how much weight I can drop a year and the level of excercise my metformin drops. I have been pushing myself a lot this year so I have managed to lower my metformin doses