2008 & The Dissertation Continues

I’m still working on my dissertation, still working full-time and still struggling with the diabetes thing with my daughter.

Yesterday we had her A1C come back at 13.4. In shock and rather annoyed…since she’d promised to take care of herself while I am SO busy. We had a “tete to tete.”

I’ve been reading and reading here and made some little changes.

1. We sat down last night made of list of what to think about: her behavior, what I can do to help, and consequences for non-compliance.
  2. We sat down after school and we looked at each other’s lists and talked about it.
  3. We have a time line for changes with consequences.

The biggest consequence is no car use until the A1C comes down below 9. She acknowledges her behavior and agreed we can do that now. The next will be that she won’t be able to go to France with her school this summer if she doesn’t take care of herself now. And the biggest consequence is that she cannot go off to college…she will have to stay home and go to a local community college. (This is the one she is worried about and should be!) I have a list of things I can do that will help her too…I promise to not nag (ok…this is hard) and remind her of the horrible possible outcomes for neglecting care. I promise to help more with her meal planning during a busy week.

I told her if she is honest and I can see she’s writing things down and doing the proper testing, she should be fine! The A1C is the average…so she has until August 15…plenty of time to get it back in order. She also has to walk 30 minutes a day…she already has circulation and a rare skin issue.

We’ll see if THIS works.

hey lisa marie,
i don’t envy you being the parent of a diabetic teen, having been a diabetic teen myself. i have yet to hear of a teen that gracefully deals with diabetes. my memory is of feeling that i needed some control of my own life-- even if that control was to say that i wasn’t going to deal with my diabetes. something that you might try is suggesting how much better she would feel on a daily basis. if you feel bad all of the time, you get used to it and forget what it is not to feel bad. i wish you luck; i know it must be frustrating. where are you in texas?

Thanks Kimberly! I appreciate your comment. ~L

agh! teenagers! Just kidding… I was just as bad or worse, so I have no room to comment! Hope everything gets on track for Sara.
Later
s

Hi Lisa! I hope that Sara is doing better already. I know something that helped me improve my control during college (I was diagnosed while in college) was to set up normal testing times. Just to get in the routine of testing OFTEN. I didn’t want to change my diet and I was eating whatever I wanted. BUT if I tested often and corrected, then things still improved. This won’t get excellent control, but it could be better.

The next step for me was to take insulin for everything I ate. It sounds simple but too often, I was just eating “a small amount” and trying to avoid an extra shot.

I think it helps to tackle ONE thing at a time. Like starting with testing, then working on carb counting, then working on diet. It’s TOO much for anyone to tackle all at once.

Hope things improve!