2015 New year, New goals

I have not been on this site for a very long time. This past year has been a huge challenge for me.
I started working again and it was really taking a toll on me. The moment I got home I needed to sleep. I would get up around 8pm, have dinner and back to bed I went. I was drained every day. The days I had off, was spent sleeping, only interrupted by bathroom breaks and food.
This is no way to live.

Since moving back to Alberta from BC, I finally have a diabetes team that knows what they are doing.
I was misdiagnosed as a type 2 about 8 years ago. Reality was I had LADA and have had it most of my life. Due to the late diagnosis, my pancreas has completely shut down and am now classified as a type 1.

I have changed my diet to a gluten free one and I must say, as difficult as it is to eat this way, I have felt improvement. I am not so tired anymore. I was tested for celiac, but it was negative. That being said, I do feel much better now so I will continue this diet lifestyle.

My new endo also is going to put me on a pump. Just waiting for the paperwork to go through so I should be having one in a month or so.

My goal for this year is to get back into shape. Although I am not overweight, I have lost muscle tone and am flabby due to sleeping so much this past year and a half.

My D.A.D(diabetic alert service dog) has been a blessing and has helped me not only to stay alive but it sure helps with the depression as well.

So with the pump, it should be safer for me, easier for me to reach my goals. At least that's what everyone tells me.

Fingers crossed!

It's great to take on new goals. Learn as much as you can about pumping. It's an excellent tool, but a dumb one. You'll have to bring the smarts to make the pump work well.

If you haven't already heard about these books, I'd recommend studying them: Think Like a Pancreas by Scheiner and Pumping Insulin by Walsh.

I know what you mean about the alert dog, I have one, too. It is a great antidote for depression.

Good luck and I wish you success for 2015!

New year, new goals! Welcome to a happy and new beginning for 2015 Karebear!

I'm an avid pumper myself, so if I can be helpful in any way please don't hesitate to reach out.

Welcome back. I hope this new year brings you health and happiness.

It's great to have you back with us again. :) Sounds like the road ahead offers really good prospects for improving your management and control. Remember we're always here for each other.