2018 ADA Scientific Sessions are almost HERE!

Is anyone else ready for the avalanche of announcements and news coming out of the ADA Scientific Sessions this upcoming weekend? Sadly even thou ADA will be held in Orlando, my kid’s travel ball schedule conflicts with it and won’t be able to attend.

What news or announcements are you looking forward to hearing this year?

I want to see:

• More info on the Omnipod Dash
  • G6 Data
  • Fiasp updates on pediatric approval
  • Libre FDA approval for the pediatric population

If you want to follow the latest news on Twitter this is the hashtag to follow: #2018ADA

2 Likes

I am interested in information about vitamin D deficiency in T1’s. There was a fellow who spoke at ACR last year touting the benefits of Vitamin D for T1’s Including the halting of the progress of Neuropathy, I call BS, but I am anxious to see if any research is presented on the benefits of Vitamin D.

1 Like

I’d be interested in seeing this too. I have to take Vitamin D supplements or my D levels go deficient.

Unfortunately, I don’t live near Orlando. Any chance you’d let us know what was said on this topic? I’d appreciate it :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there, Rick @Rphil2! And, Happy Birthday :slight_smile: and @katers87

I’ve been on prescription and otc Vitamin D since my diagnosis. It has helped -me- a lot with insulin sensitivity. The traditional course is rx 50,000 iu weekly for a few months, in conjunction with daily otc 2,000 iu. Then, after the few months, the rx is discontinued and otc remains. That was never enough for me and my numbers and health reflected it. I was continually in a loop of on again off again prescription Vitamin D treatment, until a few years ago when I requested to remain on the rx dose, along with the otc. It still isn’t enough. I’m now on 50,000 iu two times a week, plus the otc of 2,000 iu daily. My last lab result was 30, just within the sufficient range of 30-100. Insufficient is 10-29 and deficient is <10. My lowest lab result was 7. My highest was 34. I live in the north, so that is a contributing factor; but, I make up for it with my diet, which is high in Vitamin D. As it is a fat soluble Vitamin, you should take it with a fatty meal, to help it metabolize.

My A1cs are good to moderate to no-so-good. Good being 4.8 - 5.2, moderate being 6 - 7, and not-so-good 8 - 13 (at diagnosis). I feel better on this current Vitamin D therapy of twice a week 50,000 iu and daily 2,000 iu.

The following is a tribute to Frank Garland, PhD who was a Vitamin D (and cancer) researcher.

His Studies Shed Light on Link Between Vitamin D and Cancer

UC San Diego Professor of Family and Preventive Medicine, Frank Garland, PhD, died Tuesday, August 17 in La Jolla, California, after a year-long battle with illness. Garland was also Technical Director of the Naval Health Research Center.

A San Diego native, Garland was born on June 20, 1950. He received his PhD degree in epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins University and began a distinguished career in vitamin D research for cancer and disease prevention.

Video Frank Garland, PhD - Vitamin D: Can Diabetes be Prevented with Vitamin D (47 minutes) Very Informative!

Also, here are some additional links. The most intriquing, to me, is the study in Finland, where as they reduced the amount of recommend Vitamin D (to US standards), the incidence of Type 1 Diabetes rose. (Dr. Garland, if I recall, references this Finish study in the video above)

I’m looking for a link I had on the US Military and Vitamin D. I’ll add that once I find it.

Putting the Pieces Together Health Diabetes Type 1 Prevention and Vitamin D
http://www.ppt-health.com/disease-protocols/diabetes-protocol/diabetes-1-and-vitamin-d/

Another: Hormone Health Network from the Endocrine Society Vitamin D

Another: Oregon State University Micronutrient Information Center Vitamin D

Are you taking Vitamin D2 or D3. I found the daily doses of D3 to be much more helpful than the massive doses of D2 (50,000 IU) that I was initially prescribed by my doctor.

Both actually. My otc is Vitamin D3 and the rx is Vitamin D2.

I’d like to get a semi-consistent lab result of about 45-50, but I’m not holding my breath!

D3 is the vitamin/hormone created by exposure to the sun whereas D2 can be ingested by eating eggs and some other foods. The body is able to absorb and utilize D3 much better than D2.

It may be worth discussing upping your daily dose of D3 vs. taking the D2 with your doctor. I actually feel much better taking a larger dose of D3 than I did while taking D2.

Thanks for sharing the articles/video. I’ll take a look through them later tonight.

Thanks @katers87 … I had asked my doctor about D2 vs D3 in an off-manner way. They had said something about ordering the rx D2 and I said no, the D3. Their reply was no, D2 and I just sat there surprised, because as you’re saying, I had read that D3 was better, so why would I be taking an rx of D2? My last draw is recent, within the last few weeks, so now is the time to make a change and see if it does anything before the next lab draw.

Thanks again!

HERE you can find updated information on the latest news out of ADA!

Also today DiabetesMine had their #DData18, you can look for the hashtag on Twitter and read all the great information shared there.

2 Likes

Thursday, June 21, 2018

• FDA approves Eversense Glucose Monitor from Senseonics for use in the USA – an implantable glucose sensor that can monitor blood glucose levels continuously for up to 3 months. Approved for 18+.
  • Medtronic’s 670G hybrid closed-loop system gets FDA approval for use in younger patients – now including ages 7-13.
  • Insulin pump manufacturer Tandem announced FDA approval of their Basal-IQ™ technology, a predictive low glucose suspend (PLGS) feature approved for use with the t:slim X2™ Insulin Pump. Basal-IQ will predict and prevent future low blood sugars. It will roll out at the same time as the Dexcom G6 integration.
  • Ahead of the official start of #2018ADA, Dr. Faustman’s lab announces 8-year follow up results from a Phase I clinical trial of the BCG Vaccine to treat Type 1 diabetes. Results? Patients remain on insulin, but require less of it, with overall lower A1Cs. More news on BCG Vaccine research expected over the course of the conference.

Friday, June 22, 2018

• Metronom Health, an Ascensia Diabetes Challenge Winner shared their vision for a future CGM that is user friendly, accurate, and lower cost. Keep an eye out for increased competition in the CGM space!
  • At #DData18 Friday, Crystal Broj of the AADE (American Association of Diabetes Educators) shared a sneak peak of DANA “Diabetes Advanced Network Access” – the AADE’s new members-only diabetes technology training and education site, featuring everything from the latest CGM device guidance, to diabetes mobile app reviews and technology-focused research.
  • OneDrop – meter and digital therapeutic – announce “predictive insights” coming to the platform at #DData18, harnessing massive amounts of BG data to give users information about where their blood sugar might be headed.
  • Courtney Lias of the FDA clarifies yesterday’s Tandem Basal-IQ approval – it is approved for use with G5, G6, and potentially ANY future iCGM (sending data to pump via bluetooth).
  • SOOIL, makers of the DANA RS pump – an insulin pump currently available outside the United States – announced Friday at #DData18 that they are planning to submit an FDA approval “in the next few months” for a pump that will be compatible/interoperable with the OpenAPS algorithm used by DIY closed-loopers. This will give DIY closed-loop users an FDA approved, commercially available pump to build with (rather than tracking down old Medtronic pumps for this use case).
2 Likes

Nice link, Mila. This will be useful to winnow down the huge volume of news coming out of this mega-diabetes conference into the much smaller subset of interest to us. Thanks!

1 Like

Saturday, June 23, 2018

• Insights from TEDDY study provide clues to islet autoimmunity in children showing that there are two diabetes-related endotypes defined by insulin autoantibodies or glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies as the first appearing autoantibody in children, and ongoing research suggests several maternal, childhood and familial factors play a role in islet autoimmunity risk.
  • Omnipod® Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System Significantly Improves Glycemic Control in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes according to “Safety and Performance of the Omnipod Hybrid Closed-Loop System in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes over Five Days Under Free-Living Conditions” study.
  • New research finds that people with type 1 diabetes (T1D) who used the Diabeloop DBLG1 therapeutic, closed-loop insulin delivery system in a home setting experienced a greater percentage of time in the target blood glucose range and fewer hypoglycemic events compared to patients who used an open-loop system, consisting of their regular pump and sensor. The findings from the study, “Twelve-Week Home Use of Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System vs. Sensor-Assisted Pump Therapy in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes—Intermediate Results of the Multicenter Randomized Crossover Diabeloop WP7 Trial,” were presented today at #ADA2018
  • Personalized text message interventions that incorporate the use of emojis and memes are more likely to engage adolescents with type 1 diabetes than automated messages, particularly for those who struggle with low diabetes self-management, according to David V. Wagner, PhD
  • Rates of diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) in U.S. patients with type 1 diabetes (T1D) may have dipped, possibly because of improving clinical care, a new study suggests.
  • In presentation, Enrique Caballero, MD; Melinda Maryniuk, RD, CDE; and Betsy Rodriguez, RN, MSN, CDE emphasize provider and patient communication for diabetes management especially in cross cultural situations.
  • OmniTIME study: Reducing basal insulin in people with Type 1 diabetes by 50–80% 90 minutes before exercise results in significantly smaller falls in blood glucose than suspending insulin at exercise onset.
  • Viacyte announced two-year data from a Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial called “STEP ONE” evaluating the safety and efficacy of their implantable cell-based therapy for diabetes. The PEC-Encap combination product candidate consists of stem cell-derived pancreatic progenitor cells (PEC-01) encapsulated in a delivery device called the Encaptra® Cell Delivery System. The results show that the PEC-Encap product candidate has (to date) been safe and well tolerated. The Encaptra Cell Delivery System appears to protect the implanted cells from immune rejection and the patients from sensitization. Read more here.
  • 6 month implantable CGM safe and accurate for teens and adults: Eversense XL demonstrated more than 80% agreement with reference glucose values over 180 days of continuous wear in a group of mostly adolescent patients with type 1 diabetes. This CGM is approved in Europe for use in adults for up to 180 days.
  • Rabab Z. Jafri, MD and team announce research results: the Senseonics Eversense implantable CGM to be more accurate than the Dexcom G5 and the Abbott Freestyle Libre Pro devices.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

• People with Type 1 diabetes who received quality of life intervention as part of diabetes management lowered HbA1c according to Lori LAFFEL at #2018ADA
  • In a study led by Harpreet Nagra, MD, researchers considered the feasibility and effectiveness of screening for suicidal ideation in children and adolescents with T1D.
  • Despite their connectedness online, teens generally appear to be less inclined to share information about diabetes on social media, according to Korey K. Hood, PhD, professor of pediatrics (endocrinology) and psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Lucille Salter Packard Children’s Hospital, Stanford University,
  • New research indicates people with Type 1 diabetes who struggle to maintain glycemic control in target ranges may benefit improving blood glucose levels and weight loss by taking a daily dose of liraglutide as an additional treatment to insulin.
1 Like

Monday, June 25, 2018

• Results from the STAT Study comparing inhaled insulin Afrezza use to Novolog MDI showed improved post-meal blood glucose levels and improved all-day time-in-range.
  • Medtronic MiniMed 670G recieves CE Mark approval for patients 7 and older and plans a commercial release of 670G in 10 European countries in Fall 2018, subject to local regulatory requirements.
  • On Monday, Medtronic announced an outcomes-based guarantee for payers (insurance companies) – they’ve stated that Medtronic will pay up to $25,000 in hospital bills for diabetes-related hospitalizations or ER visits for 670G users.
  • Study presented Monday finds that babies born to mothers with Type 1 diabetes are twice as likely to have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Don’t panic, researchers reiterated: “For the individual woman there is a very small risk her child will have this.”
  • Lilly Diabetes and Boehringer Ingelheim shared research looking at use of SGLT2 inhibitor empagliflozin (brand name Jardiance) for use in Type 1 diabetes. Study participants saw lower A1Cs, but higher dosages also corrosponded to more cases of DKA. Jardiance is approved for use in Type 2 diabetes for patients with established cardiovascular disease. It is not yet approved for use in Type 1 diabetes.
  • Findings from a new TrialNet research study show low-dose thymoglobulin (ATG) slows insulin loss by preserving beta cell function in people newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. TrialNet researchers focus on early detection and prevention of Type 1 diabetes. ATG is an FDA-approved medication used to prevent or treat acute rejection of a transplanted organ.
  • More than insulin for Type 1 diabetes? Results from a study looking at adding sotagliflozin (brand name Zynquista) – a dual SGLT1 and SGLT2 inhibitor – to an insulin regimen in T1D showed that people who took sotagliflozin and insulin had lower A1C levels and weight and fewer severe lows, but an increased risk of DKA.
1 Like