3 important parts of diabetes?

I am writing a paper and have decided to write about diabetes,but I am only to give 3 important points in it. What would you say are the 3 important parts that would give a good description of diabetes?

Normally, I would say "wacko blood sugars," "wacko blood sugars," and "wacko blood sugars" (just like when they say what is important in real estate; location, location and location). But a better list is "wacko blood sugars," "treating myself" and "lifelong."

Hope that helps.

Brian, that made me smile.

I don't know you background in diabetes, hb, but it is important to understand that no matter how hard you work on it, the results change all the time. You can have perfect blood glucose readings for weeks, then the weather changes and wacko blood sugars are the result.

But here are my three:
Attention to blood glucose levels: Test, test, test and adjust, adjust, adjust.
Attention to equipment: glucose kit, continuous glucose monitor, insulin pump, online records, prescriptions.
Knowing it will never go away. There are a lot of depressed diabetics out there, either from dealing with the disease every day or worrying about what will happen in the future with the possible complications.

1. Type 1 and Type 2 are two different conditions either of which can happen at any age. Tests are needed for correct diagnosis
2. Either type is managed best 24/7 by a knowledgeable PWD
3. Doctors are woefully uneducated about Diabetes management - but the good ones understand #1 and #2

1. Explanation of what is diabetes and types
  2. Maintenance - how does someone manages diabetes
  3. Research for cure.

1.) Volatile blood glucose: reacts primarily to insulin, food and exercise, but also to stress, physiology and genetics, sleep quality, and other hormones.

2.) To the extent it is controllable, the person with diabetes has the ultimate determinant influence on the quality of life and disease progression. Doctors, social support, education, and economic resource all have some influence on quality of life and longevity, but the attitude and actions of the person with diabetes are the biggest, by far, drivers of outcome.

3.) Diabetes is relentless and pervasive. It touches every moment of every day, every year the person lives. It never stops, even when you sleep. Diabetes takes no vacations. It influences health, physical, psychological and emotional, every relationship, job/career, and dreams and ambitions.

Very well said, Terry. Number 3 is sometimes the most disheartening to me.

I was going to put in something about it never going away, it’s a 24/7 watch.lots of hard work to keep in check. I have had lots trouble people understanding that point in my life for sure! It’s all important for sure! I am finding it interesting how everyone has different outlook on what’s important to them.

Thanks, Ren. As you well know, the relentless and pervasive nature of diabetes can wear a person down. It is a formidable adversary. On the flip side, victory over this nemesis, no matter how fleeting, can be a source of strength and pride. Hope dies last!

1. Worrying about and experiencing complications.
  2. Puncturing yourself with injections and bg tests.
  3. Social exclusion/feeling different due to changing your daily routine.

Your third point is really the crux of the whole thing, isn't it?

My third point, if taken as a singular truth of diabetes, depresses me. I prefer to think that we, as persons with diabetes, are bigger than this condition. It's a critical philosophical distinction. I should have swapped the order of the final two points. I remain hopeful.