3rd shift work

I am considering taking a job that requires me to start out on 3rd shift for at least 2 years before you have the opportunity to move to 1st shift. I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with working 3rd shift as a type 1?

Any information will be helpful, but I am mostly interested in eating schedules, basal adjustments, and sleeping schedules anyone had success with.

1 Like

Yes, get a pump to deal with shift-work. It’s pretty hard to deal with if doing long-acting insulins in lieu of pumping. that’s my only advice and may not be what you want to hear. I almost forgot–also get a CGM if you can.

1 Like

It’s been awhile, but when I worked 3rd watch (law enforcement) I just k"turned the dial" of my clock. I worked from 11:00 pm - 7:30 m. When I got off work sometime I joined others at a cop bar for happy hour - but didn’t over do. Anyway, I went home, did the housework, ran errands - things that day watch people would do after work. I was in bed by 2:00 pm and got up at 9:30 pm to get ready for work. Turns out that I was the one who stayed alert and energetic throughout the entire shift, unlike those who went straight to bed, got up and did chores prior to going to work. chores before going to work and far more productive than those who went straight to bed and slept all day.

Funny story, there was a young cop who coldn’t wait for his rotation to graveyard during the summer. He planned on going to the beach all day. Well, he didn’t think about the fact that he slept on his side. Ended up sunburned down one side of his body. He had to to it again to even things out!

Fortunately I have been pumping for about 15 years and have had different CGM’s for the past 6 years or so. Just like many others on here I have issues with highs in the morning so much that the half my basal for the day comes between midnight and 8 a.m. which will be the shift that I am starting. I’m sure it will just have to be trial and error to figure the right combination, just thought I’d throw something out here to see if anyone had any tips.

I have a much higher basal rate from midnite until breakfast to deal with DP. Without a pump, my bg’s just don’t run as nicely as I’d like them to, nor is it in my best interests to let my bg’s run more wild. :slight_smile: