4 months into being diagnosed with T1D and I'm lost

I am quite interested in the pump but I think I have to wait it out a bit longer on these injections before I can think about the pump.

Hello Fatima:
All is not lost so be a bit patient and no be so hard on yourself.
Diabetes is all about balancing things you do.
Food, exercise etc. all have to be balanced to your insulin dosage.
The best way is to check your BS readings many times a day and to also keep track of how your insulin affects your BS after a meal.
I know that Humalog I take that each unit will drop my BS by 2 points ( I am in Canada).
So for example if I check my BS before a meal and it is 12, I will take my normal dose of 6 unit plus 2 additional units to compensate for the higher reading.
I am now in year 56 of taking injections.
I know you can do it and live a fairly normal life too!!

Ray

“Diabetes is all about balancing things you do.”

Yes, it will be like this for a while, until you get the hang of it. Headway - YouTube

My advice is to be really kind and gentle to yourself. Diabetes is really hard. Feeling lost is so normal. There is SO much to learn! Read books, browse forums and diabetes websites, go to your doctor appointments, but realize it all takes time to process, then practice, and eventually master. It didn’t happen overnight, in a month, or even a year for any of us! I’m 8 years in and STILL learning. You’re smarter than you think and stronger than you realize! Try writing down your ?'s and the things you don’t understand fully- like what exactly are you supposed to DO when you’re sick- to your Dr.'s apts. Have the Dr or diabetes educator (called a CDE-certified diabetes educator) break things down for you in a way that makes sense to you. That’s what they’re getting paid to do. Anyways, we’ve all felt the pain and frustration of this disease! You are not alone!

1 Like

Dont worry, you will get the hang of it. Look for an app that can help you work out what amount of insulin to have based on the total amount of carbs for that meal. I use predictBGL to work out my dose and CalorieKing to count my carbs. predictBGL doe need some tweaking to get the doses right and support or your doctor should be able to helo you with that. All the best for good control.

I was DX at 18 (I’m now about to turn 39)… It will take time. It’s almost killed me cause I was bulimic upon dx and had to overcome my food addiction and ironically had a disease all about food. There are good days and bad days. To this day I am still learning new things about what to do and what not to do… try new techniques on where to inject, food to eat or not eat.
I remind myself this is my battle. Other people have it worse, much worse, and some seem to have a cake life where I think if they only knew what hard was. I think of diabetes is if it was like a child. It needs to be cared for everyday and everyday is gonna be a little different.
My one suggestion is to always do what you’re doing here like ask for help, keep looking for support and be your own “researcher”. If I used the 5 minutes 2 times a year with my endo for the solution I couldn’t imagine I’d be where I am. I also seek naturopaths and continue to look for ways I can improve blood sugar with diet, supplements ect…

3 Likes