48 Days

Thats how long it took me to realize what I have.

It started after reading a forum post from someone that had been on a pump for a week, and I realized what I had been doing. I had taken this goal to get on the pump and ran with it, I had fooled myself into thinking everything would be all right once I got on the pump. It gave me a goal to work for, something to focus my efforts on. So I focused on learning how to count carbs, how my body reacts to different foods. I changed the way I eat, I started exercising, I even quit smoking.

None of this changed the fact I have diabetes.

Oh man, I was very depressed at realizing this. I was able to talk to a friend I had met on line that has diabetes, and she made me feel a lot better. My life has changed since the day I was diagnosed and it has brought a lot of new people into my life and she was one of them. Let me just thank God for those people right now before I forget.

While I’m at I have a few more things to thank him for:

I thank God it wasn’t one of my kids.
I thank God I have new friends.
I thank God I am living better.

Some day I may even be able to thank God for having diabetes, but I can’t do that today.

I know this is kind of a depressing post but just so you know, I am feeling better today, it reflects how I felt yesterday.

Funny, I am feeling like you right now!!! I have been on the Omnipod for alomst a month and my numbers are looking worse than when I was taking shots…I am hanging in there! I’ll pray for you, please pray for me…

Stephan, thanks for your honesty. I can definitely relate to the feelings that you expressed.

And I am very thankful for finally having met friends with diabetes. It seems that at all stages of my struggle with diabetes, someone was always there to support… I wish you the same!

I also focused on the pump, as the solution to the problem. Now I can see it as a tool that helps me take care of myself, which is hard work, but also rewarding.

Hope that things are looking up!

Thanks DiabeticizME , I will say some prayers for you, I’d light a candle, but they have gone up to $2 now. I have heard it can be rough in the beginning getting your basals set, hang in there I am sure you’ll be able to figure it out.

Kristen, yeah, I feel the same way, it’s just a tool. I have great control with MDI right now, I can’t tell you what my A1c is as I won’t be going in for one for a couple of more weeks, but I have been averaging 104 on my meter and I test about 10 times a day. I do have my a1c from diagnosis, 14.7, I think I can improve on that :slight_smile:

Oh, I forgot to mention I am still moving forward with the pump, as I think it would be easier, especially in public. I believe we will be ordering it next week, and I have chosen the minimed.

104 average is AWESOME!!!

Congratulations on that!! Your A1c will definitely improve!!!

I have a 145 average now (with about 6-8 tests per day). Going for the A1c next month. I’m actually convinced that the average gives a better picture than the A1c when you test as often as you do! SO well done!!!

I have been really lucky, if I can walk every day, I can run flat all day long. Unfortunately I can’t walk everyday, but even then I bounce between 80 and 150. Like I said, I have been blessed with really easy management.