62 Years of Type 1 Diabetes

Today is your anniversary – 64 years ago you were diagnosed with type 1. My daughter, Grace was diagnosed on June 24, 2007. For the past two years on June 24th, Grace makes sure we do something special on her day. For her class, we hand out shirts that read, “HOPE FOR A CURE FOR GRACE” and her two older sister’s go into class with her do an arts and crafts project with Grace’s class pertaining to diabetes. Sunday, Grace turned 9. Her best friend, Neil came over and gave her a box of legos, she loves legos. As she was opening her gift, I heard Neil say to Grace, the legos were my 2nd choice for your birthday gift. My 1st choice was a cure for type 1 diabetes, but I couldn’t do that for you this year. I hope by the time your 10, there will be a cure. That would be the best gift ever. Grace didn’t say much, she did smile. She is a trooper as I am sure you were as a child. Happy Anniversay. Today is your day for acknowleding that you have been living your life, you have not let “IT” control you, like Grace, you control “IT”.

Thanks Rene, that was a wonderful message! I wish you and Grace all the luck in the world. With her great attitude and your love and support Grace will have a long, healthy life.

That’s really amazing, sir. I hope that I can be as healthy as you when I grow to be your age! Either that, or hope that they’ve found a cure, haha.

Wow love your story my though are about your story are that medication in that time period was not full of harmful side effects like they are now I wish we had insulin from back in that time

You are amazing.

N_Lew, m original post was made in 2008. Many years have passed, and now I have been type 1 for 70 years. I have some physical handicaps that are not diabetes related, but my diabetes health is very good.

Hi @Richard157 everytime I read your story it renews me with enthusiasm that I can tame the diabetes monster :grinning:

1 Like