630g- woefully disappoints

tubeless would be awsome but hard to imagine due to the size and shape of tslim…

Medtronic is sick, as I described it here: https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/medtronic-suffering-from-the-nokia-syndrome/52599

I’ve had my 630G since September of last year (upgrade from a Medtronic 523 pump) and AFAIK it’s a major upgrade improvement in many areas, including color display, CGM/Enlite accuracy and graphical display output, waterproofness, etc. The 523 didn’t have wireless integration with a BS meter either which is also a big improvement with the 630G over what I had before. CGM accuracy is great so long as I use an interstitial fluid happy area which for me is upper buttocks area since I’m lean and have scar tissue in my abdomen area due to many years of needle and pump infusion set abuse. I’ve been on insulin pumps over 30 years since Minimed 504 pump days - with bent needles infusion sets that stayed in!

Looking forward to getting a free upgrade to the 670G system when it becomes available in the spring!

1 Like

i used a leur lock set with a Minimed about four years ago with marginal success. I ended up putting the pump back in the box and used my old Cozmo for the next 3 1/2 years until I was eligible for a new pump. One problem, as AcidRock pointed out is when you have an issue, Medtronic can point to the set maker and the set maker can point to Medtronic and no one helps you fix it.

Maurie

1 Like

OK, now I dont feel bad that I cant upgrade my Revel…

Wow wish I had found this forum & post before I upgraded my Revel to the 630. I’ve been using Minimed pumps for over 20 years and I absolutely hate this thing. The programming is awful. I started on a Minimed 507 so I’m not new to insulin pumps. It makes zero sense to have to push the buttons so many times to perform any action. I’ve gotten bit more than once by the double confirmation to bolus. Then last night just before bed I got the low battery warning. No problem I think as my Revel could go well over 24 hours before I needed to replace the battery after the low battery alarm I will get a new battery on my way to work in the morning. Except that it didn’t last that long! It alarmed once more in the middle of the night which i silenced thinking no big deal. But it was completely dead in when I got up. No display, nothing. The Revel would shut down functions - light & sound to conserve the battery, this one apparently doesn’t. I was looking forward to the closed loop system on the 670 but now I’m not sure.

2 Likes

I have a 630G and have am not having any of the issues you described. Button setting are different that before but nothing I haven’t been able deal with. Have you contacted Medtronic regarding the issues you’re having?

Highly recommend you use Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries for your 630G pump if you’re not already. I get at least 2 months of battery life out of them. You might want to change the battery when or before you get the low battery alarm to be on the safe side.

You need training

Yes I think LAJAZ needs some training. 630G pump system is levels of magnitude more complex and capable than an old Revel pump!

well we all can help each other here, getting a new pump takes getting used to, just like a new computer (I’m dealing with this now & it is frustrating) or a new phone, car, etc.

I personally keep batteries in my bathroom, purse and living room. I would never want to be without fresh batteries.

So …I didn’t love the 630g controls, clumsy confirmations, or menu navigation but as with many here, I wanted to be in line for the 670g closed-loop. I liked the CGM display, color, etc. It looked much better than the 500-series pumps but the operations are far more tedious and time consuming to accomplish the same set of tasks.

I am lucky enough to be in the pre-release trials of the 670g. I got the new 670g pump system in the mail last week and have an initial pre-trial meeting setup with a Minimed rep this week to get me migrated over…to the …

I’m sure I was supposed to wait for the counselor to help me start on the new 670g but I’m impatient and technically savvy and a slight bit over-confident so I embarked on the transition on my own a few days ago.

First things first. It’s awesome.

The 670’s buttons are the same as the 630’s but the functions are slightly different. The menu operation is quite different and a slight bit better but still bad. Suspend is worse than it was on the 630. It’s 11 ridiculous key presses to suspend. Wake up, Menu, unlock, down, down, down, down, down, suspend, yes, confirm. Good Lord, I need a nap but if I’m going to nap, I should resume my…nevermind, forget the nap, I’m too tired.

The pump takes a day or two of CGM operations and calibrations before it’s ready to go full-auto mode. I found out this morning on my way to work that it was full-auto ready so I enabled it mode and let 'er rip.

I love it.

I’ve been watching the cgm graphs all day and I’m impressed that the pump is simply handling it. Hopefully this smooths out the roller coaster that I’ve been calling my blood sugar patterns.

2 Likes

I’ve been using insulin pumps for 30 years and some of the choices, like your button-press circus above, made by designers always defeated my rational ability to imagine the discussions that lead to these kind of decisions. At first I concluded that they simply never considered the population that would live with these devices 24/7.

I’ve never read an account of anyone who was “in the room, at the table, when these decisions were made.” I have a hard time with a seasoned user buying off on these clumsy scripts. If there is anyone who reads this and knows what actually happens in these circumstances, I’d love to read your account. And I don’t grant too much credibility if the manufacturers simply want to point fingers at the FDA.

I’m happy these hybrid APs are finally coming to market and that reality over-rides my gripe with their circuitous and repetitive button pushing requirements. Has anyone here been part of a late stage user study that did materially influence what I imagine to be a room full of competent and talented engineering-geeks who don’t have a clue what it’s like live with a medical device that’s attached to you for 8,760 hours per year?

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure this out. I honestly think that the designers / manufacturing teams are tasked to “make it easy for the pump operator to [x].” where [x] is a small list of functions. Everything else is, at best, secondary to [x]. I also think that the intent for these things anymore is that there is never a “considered-valid” reason where a user should need to suspend operations. After all, the pump, infusion set, sensor and transmitter are all now designed to be water proof and are quite durable. I get that there are some humans who are … particularly sensitive to scratches, scuffs, bumps and dents to their pumps but the pumps are now being designed to simply handle life. The clips used to suck. I haven’t broken a 600-series clip since I got the 630 back in October so I have to say that either i’m being more careful with the 600-series pump or the clip is more durable because I used to stock 3 or 4 530 clips to have on standby because I knew it would break.

Good things about the 670g:

• 1 button press to see the trend/graphs. No need to unlock to view the 3, 6, 12, 24 hour graphs that used to require an unlock.
  • bolus is a simple handful of center-button presses (after confirming unlock) to get to the bolus. If you’re in auto-mode AND you just tested with a NextLink meter, you don’t need to press any other buttons.
  • with the closed loop system, the above two are actually all you really need to do.

I appreciate hearing feedback about the new Medtronic pumps. First time in many years I was considering a Minimed pump again. I gave up on them years ago as the pumps always broke and needed replacements once or twice a year… I know from friends they improved reliability but goodness they’re late with normal modern tech like color screen. I liked the Cozmo but went back to Animas after Deltec went out of business.
I love my Tandem Tslim! I got one 4 years ago, and this is the first time in 18 years of pumping that I don’t even feel a desire for a new pump as my warranty expires. It’s super durable and has never broken or needed replacement. I love the touch screen, and the best feature to me: rechargeable battery! Just plug in while I drive once in awhile. I have USB cables everywhere go. I don’t think I could ever live with a pump I have to swap batteries for again.

I also like that I was able to upgrade the OS on my tandem myself at home last month.

The only thing I’m anxious for is dexcom G5 integration. Not a big deal since i was able to ditch the receiver for just my iPhone and watch. But would be convenient to have it in pump too.

All that being said, the 670’s auto features still sound appealing. Just doubt the tradeoffs would be worth it :thinking:

Is there any reason to upgrade from the Veo (554) to the 630G (other than to get in line for the 670G–I bought the Veo to get in line for the 6xxG)?

From what I see, the 630G is a new form factor, but functionally (other than waterproofing) it seems to be pretty much the same as the Veo + Connect. And from my perspective, the Veo is a great product.

Hi… so I don’t view this as a training issue… its a design issue. For example, the orientation of the interface should rotate 180 degrees with the bottom of the interface on the side of the pump where the battery and reservoirs are inserted. In that way you are not bending the tubing to see it… the 23" tubing is their most popular… yet its too short to do that comfortable.

See my initial comments above. I’ve had in depth discussions with Medtronic’s human factors team. They agree with much of what has been pointed out here as drawbacks in the design.

1 Like

I use the Quick-Set Paradigm infusion set with 43 inches of tubing (MMT-398, 6mm canulla) with my 630G which is more than enough tubing length for me.

The inability for the 630G (and future 670G) display to auto-rotate is for me a minor inconvenience, but all pumps on the market have their limitations. For me I can live with that one…

I like the 630G. CGM accuracy with the Enlite sensors could be better but it’s not bad and does provide me important value, especially during intensive exercise (cycling). I’m hoping 670G CGM accuracy is much better!

I like an integrated pump/cgm system!

I’ve never been able to actually talk with the people who represent the human interaction with any of my diabetes devices. I wonder if they review the process that lead to the poor or “less than ideal” choices and take lessons from that process.

I also picture a process where the human factors team find themselves at odds with the engineering, regulatory, and business teams leading to a decision being made at a higher and less-informed management level.

Having worked in the tech industry for several large (Fortune 100) companies for over 40 years (mostly in engineering and product management) I can tell you that in general they do typically listen to customers unless their mission is “going out of business”. However usually the people in charge of soliciting customer requirements and implementing them in products are very “inbound” in the company and hard to reach oftentimes.

Regarding Medtronics Diabetes - they have a very active and well monitored Facebook page, and I’ve been very successful getting through to the people that matter (product managers, engineers, etc.) through that medium. You might want to try it!

Hopefully someone here can give me some advice or direction as to what pump to pick based on opinion and experience. So I’m getting my first pump and have the choice between the Medtronic Minimed 630g without sensor and the T:Slim. I’ve been going back and forth trying to figure out which to get weighing pros and cons. Any suggestions, opinions are welcome. Thank you!!