630g- woefully disappoints

Howdy There, I just got my First pump ever ( 630g ) and so far I love it. Of course I’m in Canada so my choices are limited. I find it easy to use, Looks good and not as bulky as some would say. I forget I have it on when I,m at work. No touch screen and yes a little larger than the T-slim but from what I have read will the t-slim be around for a long time?. Medtronic is a big company so I know they will be here twenty or so years from now. I don’t have CGM as my insurance does not cover it and its way to expensive for me to get out of pocket but the pump still performs great without it. Check out t-slim infusions set load times. I did my first 630g infusion set change change today ( all by my lonesome! ) and it took less than 5 min.
I spent a whole year researching out all the pumps so I know your pain! but in the end I’m sure you will love any pump that you get as its so refreshing not having to do MDI anymore! Cheers and Good Hunting :slight_smile:

I don’t know specifically about Medtronic, but never underestimate the impact the FDA has on design decisions. Many conversations with the people at Dexcom have taught me how much their hands are tied in what they are allowed to do. Those conversations have been eye-opening for me.

I noticed the difference in time required to change out the sets when I first changed from Medtronic to t:slim, but by now it’s really not an issue. You develop an efficient method of going from one step to the next. Like anything else, you adjust. I certainly wouldn’t recommend making a pump selection based on that specific factor.

1 Like

I’ve worked in interface design–interactives as well as web sites–for 20-odd years so I bow to no one in my frustration with the shortcomings of Medtronics pump UI when compared to other hand held devices. It’s natural to make that comparison because tablets and smartphones are the electronic context many of us live in. Why can’t my pump do all that stuff? But I also recognize that a pump is not an iPhone. By that I don’t mean technical design limitations (hey, I’ve got the Dexcom app on my phone) but in terms of what is at stake. It’s not playing mp3s, games and streaming video, it’s a medical device that is controlling how much of a potentially dangerous drug is getting blipped into a human body 24/7. Anyone who has been in UI design in a serious way knows that your brilliant beta rarely survives its first encounter with user testing. All kinds of things you assume people will do or understand turn out to be wrong, and they’ll innocently stumble across all kinds of barriers you thought would prevent them from breaking things. When the stakes are potentially physical injury or death, you have to make the thing bullet proof against the least savvy users, including young children, creating obstacles that end up annoying users who have been at this a while and know what they’re doing. Medtronic allows some settings to be locked away so child pumpers can’t get at them, and even adults have to make a specific effort to change defaults on things like how large a bolus is permitted. I think they do an ok job of balancing inconvenience with safety, given the wide range of users, but as a UI designer I can sympathize with the maze of roadblocks they have to get around to produce something that’s reasonably easy to use while making it as difficult as possible to put yourself in a coma.

All that aside, I expect that we’re moving in the direction of uncoupling the UI software from the hardware. Right now we’re mostly in a situation analogous to having to buy a whole new laptop in order to get the latest OS release, which is crazy. Tandem is the one exception; their Device Updater approach is a long overdue step in this direction. But why shouldn’t the UI be an app, tailored to my ability level, that talks to the hardware from my smart device? There’d still be some kind of medical certification involved but it would no longer have to be a one-size-fits-all system, which considerably hobbles designing for usability.

2 Likes

I would not make a choice based on that alone as well. Just pointing out a few things that people might not be aware of. When all is said and done each pump has its pro’s and con’s for sure but the main point is better A1C’s and control over your Diabetes! Any and all pumps will do that :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear so many ppl do not like the 630g system :frowning: I am so opposite. I was on Animas vibe and ping pump for 7 years and then went on 630g. LOVE IT!!! wow amazing. It has made my management that much better and so much more information at my finger tips. What did I bolus for how many carbs did I bolus for what time and BS all on one screen great! BUT this is also my fist time on CGM, finding all of that abit exhausting but I am learning and loving that more as time goes on. My CGM and finger pokes are all very very close which I was surprised with. Not happy with the costs of CGM and no help at all from the government as of yet which kinda sucks but, all in all I am very happy with the 630g and look forward to the next step cloed loop system which I just learned about and wait for that to come to Canada. But will hold out for that one till the end of this warrenty lol…

1 Like

I’m so glad you like it. I’ve had 2 pumps and will be getting my third in October
From Medtronics. I have never had any problems with my pumps, My supplies always come on time. I had to suspend my supplies for a few ,oaths because I was a little ahead and when I was down to my last box called them and restarted by shipments. I gone my supplies in 4 days. I had three clips brak over a period of time and they replaced them free of charge and over nighted them. I have had nothing but great system and friendly people to deal with in all departments.

No guarantees. Just look at Animas / Johnson & Johnson. Regardless of their ultimate decision they have made it clear that retaining their diabetes division is not required and is actually a choice for them.

Big company or small - you can not predict what they may decide is the best business decision for their stockholders.

I hope someone from Medtronic reads this, because I agree especially with the “button press” and easy bolus complaints. Three times in the past week, I’ve either not completed a bolus, or I’ve not completed a reservoir setup, because I am unaccustomed to cycling through the excessive number of prompts (“Are you sure? Are you sure you’re sure?”). The result is exceedingly high blood sugars–without any alert whatsoever that I haven’t been receiving insulin.

I used to be able to bolus right from my waist–switching from a horizontal to a vertical setup has made that impossible.

And yes, the easy bolus should now be called Hard Bolus because it is anything but easy.

1 Like

Paul_F do you have a CDE that supports you? Or have you been talking to Medtronic support about your issues? I’ve had a 630G since September of last year and am not having any of the issues you’re having. It’s been great, as has CGM accuracy with the Enlite sensors.

Can’t believe all the negative comments about Medtronic 6 series and CGM on this forum! I’m having great success with it (630G currently), and am looking forward to even better things with the 670G system!

I believe Medtronic itself says their new sensor is “almost” as good as the Dexcom. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Got to wonder if UHC was not forcing all of its insured base to switch to Medtronic what the actual number of people switching to Medtronic would be.

In your case you mention that the Medtronic CGM accuracy has been good for you. When you calibrate how close are the numbers?

My calibration accuracy with Medtronic 630G Enlite sensors has been excellent - plus or minus 10 mg/dl. I only callibrate when my glucose (BS) levels have been flat for at least 20 minutes.

Ive used the pod, Animas Ping and Vibe, and now the 630G. IMHO, in order of preference of user interface would be 630G>>Pod>>Ping/Vibe. And like @type1steve, my experience has been great, and CGM very accurate.

1 Like

I agree

I truly wish that I had done more research before I bought into the “Free” upgrade to the 630G that was offered. I have been using the 530G system for a bit over a year and the previous 7xx series with CGM prior to that.

My transmitter for my CGM died on me and I was told that those transmitters were on backorder until October! So i could not get a replacement transmitter for my dead one (which was under warranty) until then. Medtronic offered to exchange my 530G for the new 630G with the new G transmitter. At first I was excited to get the newest pump without having to pay the upgrade fee. I was sorely mistaken and my excitement was misplaced.

The number of button presses is absurd. Especially the Locking feature that is totally random. (I wonder how they try to market this for those that are blind because this would not work for them at all). Much as you said almost no feedback to the buttons when pushed which makes me feel like the buttons are going to end up braking sooner than later.

The screen display is so counterintuitive as you have to take the pump to read it rather than just flip it while clipped to you as you could with older versions. None of the accessories work with the new pump. (The remote or the dongle to get data to sync with Carelink). This was a game changer for me as I use my phone to see and sync data daily which I was unable to do.

The other thing I disliked was that my older One Touch UltraLink meter was not able to send BG data to the pump due to the new updated frequencies they are using. This forces use of the Other Meter which my insurance does cover in regards to getting test strips so using it as a new (Remote) is out of the question.

So if you are looking at getting the new pump and want simple and intuitive functionality then don’t bother to consider the 630G as an option. You will be disappointed.

I have contacted Medtronic so that I can return this pump as thankfully I still have my 530G. If anyone out there has contact information to the FDA though I would like that as I am going to report the fact that they are not honoring to replace an in warranty medical device in a timely manner with a device that is equal in functionality but they are rather trying to offer something that is in-fact less functional than my current pump.

Jack

1 Like

See my last comment on the 670G thread. I held it in my hand the other day and I will definitely not take that pump next time. Buttons and display upside-down, un-intuitive menus, plain ugly design - just put it next to any old Paradigm pump and it looks like something you made in your basement, ugly black plastics and it’s HUGE and heavy. No discression there. I just hope that Omnipod or Roche will offer some kind of decent alternatives over here in Europe.

SO SINCE MY LAST POST>>>> lol

1. Yes I am started to get irritated with all the button pushing, “are you sure you want to do this?” really really are you sure? the dam thing reminds me 3 times before bolusing insulin your blood sugars are high!!! I know they are leave me a lone that’s why I am talking insulin.
  2. Another thing with my old animas pump I was easily able to bolus and carb count from my pump this new link meter with Medtronic 630g you cant. I mean you can but you cant really.
  3. PLUS THE BIG THING HERE WITH ME AND THIS PUMP…with animas when you are having low blood sugars you can tell your pump hey I am having 25g of carbs, it will respond and say " OK go ahead but no insulin is needed" and still keep the information that I took the 25g of carbs with no insulin in the log book…NOT WITH 360g if I say hey blood sugars are low I am taking 25g of carbs it will say ok no insulin needed, and then “NO bolus amount entered canceling bolus” wait what???
  4. when your busy and the dam thing is beeping or vibrating ya ok ok ok … you cant just push a button to cancel the alert you have to scroll down and then push the middle button!!! WHY so I have to take it off my belt look at the screen scroll down and push cancel…

Over all I am happy with the 360g pump now that I am a few months into it. I wouldn’t go back to Animas only because their CGM part of insulin pump is crazy expensive!!! one month supplies for Animas CGM $800 as for Medtronic one month $325. Transmitter Animas $600? /6 months Medtronic $375/ 1 year. I was paying for all this all out of pocket but slowly repealing insurance coverage and hopefully in the next few days things will change. fingers crossed.

I really prefer my 530 to the 630 pump. Unfortunately even though my 530 had 2 years left on its warranty, my transmitter broke. I called Minimed and they are so hard to get ahold of now. I have used their pumps for 18 years and am seriously considering finding another option. Their customer service is awful when you can eventually get ahold of them. I often waited a half hour with their message saying that I may have to wait for up to 5 minutes.
I was told by minimed that there were no 530 transmitters and that they had no idea when or if they would be getting more. This seemed so strange that I could have a pump under warranty but couldn’t get the medically required transmitter I needed. They sent me the 630 pump if I paid for the transmitter. Fortunately it was the end of the year and my deductible had been met. When I got the 630 I can’t stand it…i want my 530 back with its 2 years of warranty left, but I also need the transmitter. I’m basically being forced to change to a pump that I don’t like. If I return the 530 within 15 days, I will have to wait until May for the 530 transmitter with no loaner to hold me over…plus I will have to pay the cost of the 530 transmitter since my insurance has now started a new year. It is so frustrating. Representatives don’t return phone calls and my local rep actually went on maternity leave and her answering machine said nothing about her being gone or who was looking after her clients. Medtronic had no idea either. Nobody in that office knows what anybody is doing anymore…it’s frustrating. A top person at Medtronic even lied to me about my insurance and said it had changed from 2017…in 2018. I called my insurance company and they said this was not true. In 2017 and 2018, my insurance did not require a pre-authorization for medical devices less than $2000 (the transmitter). Minimed told me the cost would be $117 in 2018 and it ended up that it will cost $750…had the transmitter been available my insurance would have paid for it 100% without a pre-auth. They know they are screwing up with customer service but lying instead of admitting it and talking nonsense to cover their butts.
I really hope a new pump company can show up soon that can give Medtronic a reason to improve customer service…right now we are kind of stuck depending on them and their poor service and they know it.
What I hate about the 630 is just like what others have said. I’m short and the longer pump digs into me when I sit. At night when I roll over it feels like I’m dragging a brick with me. When I went from no pump to the first minimed pump I got, I hardly even noticed I was wearing a pump. Now it constantly reminds me. I can’t wear it in my bra anymore…its way too large. The clip for the pump is too loose and doesnt grip well. It falls off my clothing and is so heavy it feels like a wrecking ball swinging around. The locks on the pump are ridiculous and I feel like I’m constantly pressing buttons. Each time I have to take the pump off to press all the buttons because it is vertically screened and impossible to see or press buttons unless taken off. It’s amazing how long it takes to give a simple bolus. In the middle of the night with my 530, it was simple to give a quick little bolus and get back to sleep…now I have to seriously unlock the pump…button is different every time, press multiple buttons and I’m completely annoyed by the whole process…im way more likely to make a mistake with the frustration of it all. The alarm is the worst noise ever…it sounds like an annoying phone ring.
Pumps need to be helpful, simple and small…i have no idea what they were thinking with the 630.
I feel like my life revolves around my pump now instead of my pump helping remove the constant thought of having diabetes.
I also think that it is so frustrating that I have to be without a transmitter for over 4 months if I want to stay on my 530…when my 530 still has 2 years of warranty. Plus, I will now be responsible for the cost of the transmitter instead of insurance covering it.

You didn’t mention the display orientation which makes it impossible to read if attached to your belt. Something went really wrong with Medtronic’s design team.

1 Like

They are too big, they own the market and no other player stands a chance. All medical staff seem also to have been brainwashed so even though you tell them that you don’t want Medtronic, they will still lobby for it.Or it’s maybe a question of kickbacks.