670g and being abroad

So my 18 year old daughter is on an internship aborad. She just switched to 670g closed loop 6 weeks back. She is having hell lot of trouble with it. Because she is in a humid place, the guardian sensor does not stick well to her skin. And then it stops working because of some or the other reason… like ‘sensor not found’ or 'sensor warming ’ etc… so my daughter says it does not work most times but is stuck to her body all the time. Yesterday she had high ketones because her BG went upto 400 and would not come down despite using syringe to bolus to correct. She gave up and used an omni pod ( she had a few spare from before) and corrected and everything came back to normal. Now she does not want to return to 670g-guardian system.
Any advices ? How does she put herself together and try this system? On one hand the potential control she might reach is enticing and on the other a patient has to go through such frustrating experiences with the sensor …
I am lost on what to advice her.

1 Like

A lot of us have found the 670’s automode to be a struggle. It might be easier for her to manage while she’s overseas to just run it in manual mode.

Re the sensor stickiness, I find that applying liquid Skin-Tac to the area before you insert the sensor is pretty effective in keeping it on for the duration. There are also some aftermarket stick-on solutions, some of them distinctly targeted toward youthful T1s. This might be a little too young for her, but…

https://asillypatch.com

1 Like

Try one of these for the guardian transmitter.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I have asked her to go on manual mode now. Wondering if she wears it on manual for next 2 months, would she have to do the auto-mode tweaking all over again?

she might be better off (financial considerations aside) using a Dexcom CGM, and stop using MM sensors. Dexcom G5 is a highly reliable system, which many can’t honestly say for the MM CGM.

I had the same question when I went off auto. My guess is that it’s essentially the same as that first acclimation week that you have to do before turning auto on when you first start on the 670G. I would expect it to remember your user settings as well. I.e., it should pretty much pick up right where you left off. But you should check with MedT just to be sure.

That’s a little odd. The syringe injection should have done the trick unless there was a problem with the insulin itself, which would be a big concern (if, say, it had been exposed to significant heat for a while). But it may be that the additional bolus from the pod was necessary. A lot of us find that our standard correction ratio isn’t sufficient as you get into 200+ BGs, and 400 is a pretty scary-high number.

Glad she had the Omnipod to fall back on, though unfortunately you need the 670 to use the Guardian CGM system, so I assume she’s CGM deprived for the time being. Unless she was using a Dexcom CGM previously and has those supplies along for emergency back up as well? You can manage without a CGM of course, but it is a handy thing to have while traveling, in particular, because your usual routines can get disrupted.

She does not have Dexcom cgm as she did not bring it… she is only on Omnipod and is working well with finger pricks… except for the past few days she is saying she does not feel lows anymore. I am freaking out now.

Regular and frequent fingerstick checks can go a long way to averting any hypo emergencies. And it might help mom’s nerves, too!