670G battery cap

I dropped my battery cap and the little copper conductor fell off. I could not reattach it so I placed it over the battery and screwed the cap back on and all seemed ok. I called Medtronic for a replacement and the rep advised to not use the pump until the replacement was received (2 days later.) I continued to use the pump but checked my BGs regularly. I was wondering why I was advised to stop using the pump even though it seemed to be working properly. I assume CYA for potential malfunction.

It’s a legal thing. If they didn’t tell you that and you were hospitalized for high sugar or low, you could sue them and say “ they didn’t tell me to stop using it. “
Yes we live in “that” society now.

1 Like

I understand. However, if I went high or low because I injected the wrong amount of insulin because I wasn’t using the pump as instructed, could I then sue them for that claiming that I had forgotten how to properly inject insulin.

I know, a stretch, but that seems to be the direction we are headed

I do not know the specific question, but I suspect there is another good reason. The list price of this item is in excess of 7K. Causing an electrical short as the result of an inappropriately secured terminal is a difficult thing to suggest. At the very lest the Medtronic representative was doing the responsible thing so that increased or lessened current does not drive the pump motor faster or slower.

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

I’m on my fourth Medtronic pump, with the possibility of ordering a fifth, the new 780G, once I finish comparing the t:slim with it.

The past two Medtronic pumps I’ve used have ill-fitting battery caps. In attempting to screw in the battery cap, the cap screw doesn’t always grab the chassis’ grooves. Often, out it pops.

Once it’s screwed in, it is secure.

In past years, I’ve emailed the company and mentioned to Medtronic representatives about the battery-cap flaw.

With the 780G now available, I haven’t seen any posts that Medtronic engineers have redesigned the cap and the screw grooves to improve its connectivity to the pump chassis.

@Rphil2 may be able to help!

MarkP: With the old Paradigm pumps, I never had a problem screwing the battery cap in.

I got a 630G about a year ago, and had nothing BUT problems replacing the battery cap when I changed the battery. Finally figured it out: You have to use something (like a coin, back handle end of a spoon) as a screwdriver and PRESS IN on the cap while screwing it…goes right in, no more problem. In fact, you only have to rotate it about 1.5 times and it’s in tight.

1 Like

Ruth4, Yes I use a quarter to unscrew the 670g, you can also use the bottom of the belt clip, which is designed for this purpose.

MarkP, the paradigm pumps did have an issue in the middle and end of the run. I did not have any issues with the 670g. When I unpacked the 770g this past Sunday I noticed it had a spare cap which is a good addition.

The 770g and 670g are the same body battery assembly. I noticed the other day my battery cap collection. I seem to have about six running around my diacrap cabinet. :slight_smile:

Medtronic was in the habit of sending extras in the paradigm days. I suspect they will send some extras for the 670 / 770 -780 series if one calls and makes the request. that is just a guess however.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

Hi Rick and all TU folks in this particular forum, I have signed onto the 770 (my error in my earlier post, not the 780, which is really a software upgrade to the 770 once it’s approved in the U.S.).

For the 630 and 670 Medtronics, and as I recall for earlier models, I’ve always used a coin to undo and then secure the battery cap. My concern is that the cap installation should have been better engineered so the cap’s screw can better grab the pump’s battery-slot grooves.

But my gripe is comparatively minor. For a dozen years and four different pump models, the Medtronics have functioned well. It’s why I opted to go with the 770 instead of choosing the T-Slim, while recognizing that plenty of people prefer the Tandem pump.

Mark:

OI do not disagree. I know that when medtronic went to the clip being able to unscrew the cap they thought they had made an improvement. I do not think so myself, but it is / was a thought. I have always kept a quarter handy to remove and place the cap which i do think works fairly good.

I have never been asked about the cap or how it is placed or removed. But will be happy to let them know that like myself others have expressed a suggestion about the cap.

My 770 included an extra cap and I did not have to ask for it. Oh and I kept the 670 cap when i sent it back.

rick

Don, I can only guess that the the FDA has not approved the use of the pump under those circumstances. So call it CYA, but I am guessing the rep was acting in accordance with the FDA criteria.