8 hr eating window

hi,
found out that my a1bc is 11.3 a month back. am trying a 8hr eating and 16 hr fasting window. am 46yrs old and a cyclist. yes ! exercise every day and was surprised with the results. weakness for sweets over 2 decades has led to this . am on jardiance 25mg and metformin 1000 daily. hope to get inspired in the grp and contribute.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard KSR:

Check the nutrition labels of everything you eat. Watch the carbs like a hawk and set a daily carb limit for your 1 meal a day until you get your A1C down. Anything white like rice, pasta, bread, pizza, etc. is most likely going to have far more effect on your BG and A1C than sweets. I am a chocoholic, also OMAD (One meal a day) and keep my A1C in the 5.6-5.8 range.

My exercise during the Winter consists of walking from my kitchen to my car and from my car in the parking lot to my office. When the weather turns warm I frequently inline skate 25-30 miles a few times a week. Exercise is not what does anything to my A1C as it makes me hungry and eat more.

1 Like

You’ve made a good choice using a time-restricted eating window. I’ve done the 16/8 fasting/eating regimen for many years. The body needs a rest from the burden of digestion; giving your body that rest 16 hours every day definitely aids health.

Exercise is a wonderful and healthy habit, but as @CJ114 notes, it also makes you hungry.

You’re right to look at your consumption of sweets as playing a part in the impairment of your glucose metabolism. Yet you probably don’t recognize the role that carbohydrates, particularly processed starches, play. The starches in bread, noodles, rice, and potatoes are merely long chains of glucose molecules. It is likely dietary processed carbs that have created the bulk of your metabolic woes. Sweets just added to the problem.

Your intermittent fasting regimen will help; I encourage you to continue with this habit. Changing your eating pattern, however, particularly limiting consumption of highly processed carbohydrates, can provide metabolic benefits many times more than fasting. You would be wise to consider this. Good luck!

1 Like

If you think about it, it’s not that difficult to consider this.
I eat my first meal at 10 am. I have a very small meal at 1 pm and dinner at 6 pm.

So technically I am doing this 8 hour thing unless you count when you finish eating then I would need to start dinner at530.

But maybe I live under a rock, don’t most people eat this way or pretty close.?

Breakfast at 8 lunch at 12 and dinner at 5? I mean that’s 9 hours but still not too much of a shift if you wanted to get there.

I found that eating my breakfast late helps me with not being hungry during the day. Except I drink black coffee at 7 am.
I don’t know if that ruins the whole thing.

2 Likes

Are you testing BGs? That will give you feedback on the progress you’re making.
Testing in “pairs” (before meal, then 2 hrs after) can help identify food choices you may need to avoid or limit. Sometimes referred to as “eat to your meter”.

Maybe you meant most people who post here but I didn’t take it that way. No, I don’t think most people use the 16/8 fasting regimen. I understand that people who post here are likely more careful and thoughtful about what and how they eat.

The more typical pattern probably looks like this:

• A small snack-like breakfast often consisting of a bowl of cereal with milk and/or a cereal bar.

• A mid-morning portion often eaten to quell a plummeting blood sugar level caused by a high blood sugar rebound from the breakfast snack.

• A mid-day meal often consisting of 40% of calories derived from processed carbohydrates like bread, noodles and potatoes often sweetened with various forms of sugar.

• A mid-afternoon snack intended to shake them out of the sleepiness and brain-fog of the afternoon slump caused by poor eating earlier in the day.

• An evening meal, often eaten after 7 p.m. in front of the TV.

• A bedtime snack that means the first several hours of sleep are disturbed by active digestion.

Sorry if I interpreted your comment incorrectly.

1 Like

@kSR
After cleaning up your eating habits/patterns, there is something else to consider if that doesn’t work. I am only mentioning this because of the exercise/cycling everyday and having a BG level that high. A chance of being a Type 1 instead.

Most people with diabetes are type 2, but most Americans I think are not great on exercising which usually helps keep BG levels down. Diabetics, both types, use exercise to lower our BG level.

So that brings me to the fact that when things don’t make sense sometimes you could be a type 1 and not a type 2. 38% percent of type 1’s are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. I was. It wasn’t until I switched doctors and she tested me right away that I was diagnosed right. The thing is 50% of type 1’s are diagnosed after the age of 30. It is slower onset usually when you get it as an adult and is often misdiagnosed because lifestyle changes and medications work at first because your pancreas is still making some insulin for quite a while, years even.

Most diabetics are type 2’s. But if you notice you are eating better but your numbers are still not behaving, just keep in mind you could be a type 1.

2 Likes

I guess what I meant was I’ve pretty much always eaten my meals the same way.
Since I was a little kid we ate 3 meals and we didn’t eat after dinner. If we had dessert it was immediately after dinner. This was long before I was diagnosed.

Even during my university days. I ate like that except some weekends and parties where we would sort of graze.

I really just figured that most people eat 3 meals. Kind of spread out over 8-9 hours.

Of course some people eat like you suggested, or even worse.

But really do you that that is average for an American

ksr, I was diagnosed at the age of 42. I am a cyclists as well, but I wasn’t actively cycling at the time. I had gained weight and I since realized that I was self treating reactive hypoglycemia from boyhood. My favorite self medication was a coke and a candy bar.

Do test yourself regularly. I have an emergency kit that I put together for riding. It fits in my center jersey pocket with a high visibility triangle. It has a True Metrix GO meter which fits on the strip vial, a mini lancet device, glucose tablets, peanut butter crackers and a Kind nut bar.

Pay close attention to your blood glucose levels. If the don’t respond to the meds you are on you might suggest to your doc a couple of tests, C-Peptide and GAD to rule out LADA Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. LADA is basically type 1 so it will not respond to type 2 meds. People with LADA are often misdiagnosed as type 2 because it occurs around the same age, whereas type 1 usually hit the very young.

Keep riding and keep the rubber side down. Here’s a picture of my emergency kit.

That looks like a great hypo kit set up. Most of the info you gave in your post is correct except that type 2 meds actually can work on type 1’s or LADA’s. Some type 1’s use type 2 meds to lower insulin requirements or help with appetite control for weight loss which then results in lowered BG’s. LADA is responsive to type 2 meds initially but then slowly over time as the pancreas stops working so too do the non insulin meds.

1 Like