A Canadian who thinks that the pump is FROM THE DEVIL!

I’ve been ‘diabetic’ for 15 years but I spent a good 10 of those years floating down the river of denial hoping that it just was not true. The thought that I had to control what I ate all of the time, test my BG, jab myself all the time well it was just too much for me. I just ignored it and ignored it until my feet started to hurt.

Then I started to listen to my overly sweet body and I began to monitor everything that I ate. I did my proper BG testing and took my pen insulin when required. This was last January. I lost and kept off 35 pounds of the 120 pounds that I had to lose. I was exercising, eating properly and had pretty good control, my A1C was 7.1. I was doing fantastic.

Then December 6th I met the Medtronic devil and he gave me the pump. It’s a wonderful tool to help with my sugars but like all good things, this devil device allowed me to eat…and keep eating…with no jabbing of insulin or sneaking off over supper to hide it from others in a restaurant. The weight is coming back and I don’t know if I have the ability to get back on track for weight loss. My treadmill keeps whispering to me but the pump makes me afraid to exercise because I might have a low. I truly don’t know how to restart it. Over Christmas I ate…sugar, chocolate and other things that I have avoided for many years…

So…why this blog. I thought that it could help me to get back on track in a forum where others might be struggling with the same issues. I’ve joined lots of groups in the past to help with weight loss but no one else there is at all like me - overweight and diabetic. Maybe others here might be able to help me as I post my struggles and successes.

So, enjoy this blog, have a good read. Hopefully there will be more laughing than crying!

Yes, you made me laugh :slight_smile: …in my mind Diabetes is the Devil( since 1983 ) and my insulin pump ( my tool ) helps me knocking " the guy " down as has happened since 2001 …you will get back on track , if YOU say so and as you wrote in the second paragraph .

You can get back on track and you will.

This happened to me when I got on the pump. After 7 years I got off it and have since had 5% a1c’s. And I lost a lot of weight. You can do it with or without the pump, it’s about discipline, you can do it either way. Good luck :slight_smile:

I’ve never been obese, but I have been overweight – and the only thing that has helped me is to go low-carb. Don’t mean to be a missionary, but have you given it any thought? Eating more protein and fat have meant I’m just not hungry for carbs – and while I do eat carbs for special occasions, the next day, I’m right back on track. Eating high-fiber, low-carb vegetables helps, too. I have totally cut out bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, corn and cereal (including oatmeal – touted to be healthy, but high-carb nonetheless).
I do have a pump, and I keep track of how much insulin I use every day – the goal is to stay under 40 units TDD. I usually use about 35 units a day, but the 40 is to allow myself some leeway.
I hope you can figure out what works for you – when you do, it’s such a wonderful feeling!

Can your pump give you adjusted or temporary basals!? That’s what you do, decrease before working out and you can exercise without a low. That’s the reason I went on a pump, so I could workout without crashing.

What happened to you is predictable. My endo asked me if I ate everything in sight after I got on the pump. And he was trying to hide a laugh, as in, that is what people do when they first get a pump. So , after I tried to not come clean about it, we got down to business, and things settled in. It is a natural response I think, after we are so programmed to not eat certain things. Anyway, this time of year is hard to get back on track. I have to do that too.

Yes, my pump (and I think most of them) does temporary basals. It can adjust amount and duration. Doesn’t yours?

Theresa - Kudos to you for reaching out to the community and never give up. I know it can be difficult and scary to fall off the wagon but, we can get back on. I hope things turn around for you quickly. Good luck – you have done it before and you can do it again. All the best, Denise C

If you are posting this out to all of us - then you know you can get back on track again. I’m like you, was doing MDI perfect - then decided to switch over the pumping. I thought MDI was easy, with the pen needles we use now, no pain when I would eat thats something extra (tho’ believeit or not I guessed at the carbs - and somehow kept a pretty good A1C between 6-7%). Then came the pump, and like you say, it’s so easy to eat and just hit the buttons to give the juice of life. I have gained abit of weight since going on the pump, but I’ve also taken on a job that makes me sit on my buttocks more - so I’ve got to get more motivated with exercising and trying to resist that Terry’s chocolate that is still sitting in my Christmas stocking. If we can both motivate each other - alright! Let’s make our pumps into Angels :slight_smile:
Anna from Montreal - The Roller Coaster Ride of Diabetes - Whoo! Whoo!

Dear Theresa I am in the same boat. What insulins were you using while on MDI? What insulin are you using in the pump? How much TDD did you use on the MDI? How much TDD are you using on the pump?

Hey …I too liked the blog, the DEVIL bit caught my eye…I don’t know about pumps…Just diagnosed Aug. 2010 but the denial sounds familiar. However, my doctors tell me I’m the perfect patient…the jokes on them because I,m not doing my best I,m not the perfect little patient. I could do better but I won,t. Not sure why…just not putting my best foot forward. I think its all linked to denial of some sort…and maybe denial is still dragging you down…the desire to be, " normal "( or at least what looks normal on the outside to some of us) is still there in the background of your mind…so…you are just hiding behind the pump right now. Come out into the light and maybe getting back on track will be much easier than you thought. Good Luck

As far as I’m concerned, your devil is… well, I can’t say it’s an angel, because if it were, it would never cause me sleepless nights, but at the very least it’s an imp rather than a devil. It keeps my son alive without the constant skin-pricks of a syringe, and it makes it possible for us to send him to daycare and eventually school without having to schedule in time for Daddy to leave the farm to administer shots. We did that long enough, and it was a big-time drag. So I for one will not be condemning Medtronic’s pumps as demonic any time soon.

The devil made me buy this dress (flip wilson, comedian) The pump is an eenabler, both good and bad. No different than a knife or a blowtorch, as a tool its all what its used for

check out www.teamwild.org for fellow diabetic women who enspire life with diabetes and exercise! Or www.connectedinmotion.ca is another usefuly website full of people with diabetes who exercise!

You can do it!