A couple of interesting studies

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/diabetes-news/10554-in-hospital-blood-sugar-levels-should-be-higher

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10548&catid=1&Itemid=17

It disappoints me to read the “conclusion” is to prescribe worse control for hospital patients rather than to figure out how to have better control.

I like the idea of eating more salt though!! I often look at labels and have noticed a tendency for “low sodium” products to have more potassium lately? That seems to be a recent development and makes me wonder if instead of potassium like in bananas or potatoes, it’s some sort of potassium chloride that mimics the flavor of salt while allowing the manafacturer to tout it as low-sodium?

It seemed to me rather silly to have bs so high. A question because I have always heard that while lows are rough they aren’t deadly for T2’s. Then again maybe the article was about T1’s only but still would like to know the answer.

This just after the government has suggested less than 1/2 teaspoon daily for adults! Ya and so we can eat some sort of substitute! Lol

I just think that it speaks to how the medical industry is more than willing to give up on people with any type of diabetes. They can say “during a hospital visit, we are focused on a more serious problem” but I can’t think of too many serious problems that are not going to be improved by BG control, cardiac, injuries, serious diseases, whatever, healing is aided by better bloodsugar control. If the doctors aren’t sure how to explain it, they should say “we arent’ sure how to explain it” not just give up.

Re the salt, I am not sure if the substitute is any better though? There probably aren’t as many studies to evaluate the consequences?

I found both ariticles interesting.

If and when I have to go to the hospital, I’m sneaking in my meter. I refuse to reduce my sodium intake of 2,600 to 3,500. I don’t have high blood pressure. I’m not going to take away any food item that doesn’t need to be taken away.

The conclusion disappoints me as well. I read a responce from AACE which basically states there is no scientific evidence that supports tight control improves outcomes and hypoglycemia is a risk factor for tight control so we may as well not prescribe tight control. The problem for these organizations is they are set up to be evidence based. If there is no evidence to support what they feel might be the better choice they cannot prescribe it. The AACE response did mention that they look forward to newer technologies like CGMS that is intended for the hospital so you can see they want to prescribe it if they can mitigatethe risk of hypoglycemia.

Ditto on the sodium. I am a salt freak! Noticing the increased potassium is a keen observation and the potassium chloride theory sounds logical. Check the ingredients lists to see if you can indeed find it in there.

I am a salt fan so I would like to keep my intake high as well. Problem is they are showing an increased risk of stroke with high sodium intake even if the blood pressure is good. I was not happy to read this :frowning:

yeah, well I chauk it up to the Insurance Co.'s and The Gov’t behind it…
why? Well think for a moment… that IF having near as Non D Levels is the Best ( 80’s) ALL the time, then what would that take?
1- Alot more test strips… at least 8-10x day for ALL Types of D’s
2- More Accurate Test meters
3- Better Insulins… not this Humalog or Novalog stuff that takes Hours to get one’s BG’s down…
4- Better Insulin delivery systems
5- How about a Insulin pump for All T1’s for starters? At $7k each x 2 million? and ave $1,500 /yr their after forever in costs…
6. how about the 3 Test strip limit for Medicare people? Maybe for a T2, not using Insulin, but for everyone else who does and the T1’s? Is that a Joke or what?
7. How about Covering every t1 from the get go by allowing them into Medicare at least?

the costs would be ProHibitive…

And on the other hand> how about those who have had T1 for say 30-40 yrs? Back in the days when no test meters, and lucky to ave 175’s… sure their are some in their 60-70’s that have had it for 30-50 yrs, what what %? like 5-10%? What about the other 90-95% ?

and there is a legal liability issue… Imagine your dr. telling you to run tighter control, but you get more hypo’s, and you have a Car Accident or some other issue having a hypo… some lawyer would go suing your Dr. right?

Cost for 10 x day testing at OTC prices? 3,600 yr strips x $1.20 = $4,320 x 2million T1’s? = Pricless!
over $8 Billion a yr… and how about 6x day for t2’s? x 20 million of them!
and they would become so Depressed after seeing High BG’s and then they would have to go on Insulin shots and be scared to death of doing that , Suicide rates would go up! and More lawsuits…

and Most of these studies? Are just justifications for the Cost they need to do them, or to attract more Funding to do more…

and my favorite? Almost every Endo I’ve met ( several thru the VA and outside ) ? They all compare you to the Majority of T2’s on BG control and most of their T2’s have No Control! As a matter of fact? over 50% of T1’s have Poor Control, not matter how many times they test… since they don’t know what to do to get lower BG’s or they don’t want too… Ask your Endo next time . How many t1 Patients they have and How many have 6-7% A1c’s