A first in 46 years

Shouldn’t be difficult to keep blood glucose in range for a day. Yesterday was the first day I achieved that since I was dx’ed in 1973.

16 Likes

That’s great. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

A standard deviation of 10 is awesome. I try to achieve 20 for the day/month but have never achieved 10. Your basals must be right on. Did you eat that day? About how many carbs? Congrats!

3 Likes

@rcarli, my SD per day varies a lot. I have never seen 10 either. For the last 10 years the 2 week SD varied between 20 and 30. Only lately, since being on the loop, I consistently achieve a little below 20. 20 is my goal. My basal rate is no longer critical since the loop does what it wants anyway.
Yesterday I had half a bagel with lox and cream cheese for breakfast (50 carbs). For lunch I went out and had a huge Greek salad with chicken souvlaki. There seemed to be quite some sugar in the dressing. My best guess is that it was about 40 carbs. That was it.

2 Likes

Truly outstanding ave BG and std dev having that many carbs. I try to limit carbs but no longer count carbs but I would put in a larger meal bolus if I knew I was having lots of carbs.

1 Like

BTW, diagnosed in 1967, 16 years old. When I think of my activities (track, cross country, 45 holes of golf, tennis) I don’t know how I survived. Technology has made it so much easier. Now, can’t imagine going without my G5 for a whole day and yet was on insulin for 51 years without it.

3 Likes

Wow, @Helmut! That’s a truly impressive no-hitter. While 100% time in range is quite an achievement, a standard deviation of 10 mg/dL is amazing. Your great numbers give you an insight into what gluco-normals (the metabolically healthy ones, at least) experience every day without thought or effort.

Loop continues to amaze me, even at three years. Keep up the great work!

I hope you don’t mind that I’ve changed the post category to “DIY Closed Loop Systems.”

4 Likes

@rcarli, I know that technology gives me better control but I don’t feel as free and unburdened as I did in the early days. I took a shot in the morning and one in the evening and ate low carb. That was it. I didn’t even feel like a diabetic. Now I have to sleep on one side for 3 days then on the other side. I stay away from water sports and always pack extra supplies when I travel more than half an hour away from home. I am kind of glad that I had so many years without the gadgets. I feel like I had a normal life until pump & cgm became standard of care.

6 Likes

I have paid dearly for feeling free and not being in good control (kidney transplant, bypass in left leg, sore on toe that won’t heal and tons more.) Used to sleep on my stomach but not any more. Nonetheless thankful for the new technology. Cannot win this struggle, can only hope to stay in the game.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your problems. I also had a run-in with complications in 2000 even that my A1C was in the low 6s for the 15 years before. I realized that diabetes will get my attention one way or another (complications or BG control). I very much prefer BG control.

2 Likes

I put my pump in the draw and will never go back to it. I have an 4.6% a1c and std dev of .7 Take one long acting shot at night. Regular for meals and fiasp for corrections. The cgm doesnt feel like a gadget as its on my phone so I’m keeping that.

2 Likes

Bravo !!!

1 Like

Really phenomenal data!

1 Like

And I feel the opposite so much of the time.

Despite being on only one shot/day for my first 25 years, I felt chained to the clock. Mealtimes were suddenly not a time to enjoy and socialize, but a chore at best and often a nightmare of hoping I could stuff enough food in to stave off a visit to the ER.

2 Likes

Hi @Helmut What system(s) are you using ?

2 Likes

@YogaO, good point. I remember how relieved I was when I no longer had to eat. I used to always take an apple to meetings and start eating when the meeting went on for too long. I also remember that my wife was annoyed when on road trips I said: Let’s take the next exit. I need to eat.

@Marie20, I am on the Omnipod DIY Loop: Omnipod, Dexcom G6, iPhone X, RileyLink.

4 Likes

@Terry4, are you still looping?

1 Like

@Helmut – Yes, I use the Med-T Loop. It’ll be three years on November 14. Loop makes my life better with less effort.

3 Likes

@Terry4, did you need to tweak parameters? I am now running with ISF 10 even that my typical observed ISF is between 30 and 40.

Congratulations that is one very nice line and SD. For me, it’s pretty easy to stay 100% in range if I use the standard 70-180 for my range. Your range looks a lot tighter than than. I’m Looping with Pods and Dex G6, RL, and iphone 7. My DIY Looping experience began in April when the test branch was released. I have never used a Medtronic Loop or any other tubed pump so that was not even a thought, but a friend switched from Pods to an old Medtronic pump solely to Loop in 2017. When I saw the beer emoji on her Loop app, I was sold. She started Looping with Omnipod on NY Eve and urged me to buy my RL before the rush. I did and haven’t looked back.

3 Likes