A Little To Late Maybe?

Hello Everyone, I am a 53 yr old Male w/ Type 1. I have had it for about 30 yrs. I never really took care of my Diabetes for the first two decades or longer. My A1C levels would be in the 10’s or 11’s. About 4 yrs ago I went on the MiniMed 722 Pump and my last A1C was 5.7 I am now going on there new CGM System which I just signed for from UPS. Although I live in Kentucky I travel to the Joslin Center at Southview Hospital in Miamisburg, Ohio for care from my Health Care Team. I have Nerve damage in both feet which I treat with Lyrica with no side effects. I have had several foot ulcers which led to infections which led to a partial amputation of my right foot. Do to never accepting that I had a very serious disease I never treated it as serious. I urge you if you are newly diagnosed to please take this disease seriously from the start.

Powerful and sobering message, CountyClare.

Congratulations on the A1c – and keep pushing.

Thanks for the message CountyClare. As someone recently diagnosed, my diagnosis scared the hell out of me and and my life has not been the same since. In many ways, that is a positive (lost weight, quit smoking, started exercising). I can also see how easy it would be to go into denial so i certainly feel for those who initially cant handle the news of their dx. For that reason, its so important messages like this are shared.

Great job on the A1c and it sounds like while you have some struggles, you also have taken charge in the last few years that has probably prevented or slowed further damage. That also is an important message so thanks again~

CountyClare…if only we knew then…the fella next door used to be the meanest man on the block until he lost part of one foot, a wonderful wife, and both kidneys to high BG’s. Now that he is a couple of years off the kidney transplant he’s the sweetest guy on the planet. I think managing a chronic illness is harder for men. Somehow it’s a sign of weakness if you can’t push through pain - that’s the message to guys from a very early age.

Good advice there.

It is hard. We don’t see immediate damage when our BGs are high so it can be hard to took it seriously. I been Type 1 since September and am still struggling with my diagnosis. Thank you for your story.

Great advice. I’m T1 for 35 years. Didn’t take care of myself until November of 2005, when I found out I had heart disease. Since 2005 I’ve been trying so hard, and my A1C has been 7 or lower, but have had some more minor complications arise. Like frozen joints and hypo unawareness. Can’t stress enough to do all you can to control it before it controls you. God bless!

Antonia…did you have to have surgery for frozen joints? I’m in PT now but it’s very painful.

great A1C! And thank you for your advice. I have type since 1967 and I’m 53 years old. Yes, I lived sometimes without taking care of my diabetes but now, type 1 people can control their diabetes. Yes I’m really agree with you: this disease must be taken (not sure of my grammaire) seriously from the start! I have some complications: retinopathy, open heart surgery… take care of yourself CountyClare! And never say “a little too late maybe”!

Your effort to inform and motivate the newly diagnosed with your story is a great thing. Part of my personal philosophy is that it’s never too late to start doing what’s right. I’m sure you will benefit with the dramatic improvement in your overall control. Good job!

Thanks for the post, CountyClare. Taking “care” of one’s diabetes never ends…sigh, but as you’ve so eloquently accepted, it’s demanded of us. Much much much better late than never. And you can also expect to start feeling better in ways you never expected.

If it makes you feel any better I think I lived for the first 50 years not taking care of myself. I was in such denial - I just thought “it wouldn’t happen to me”…well it does. I am on the Pump too and struggle daily with numb feet, have had lazer surgeries and cataracts in my eyes, and I am beging to experience reduced kidney function. For the past 6-10 years I have kept my A1c (lowest) 6.2 and (highest) 8.0. You cannot reverse the damage but you can stop it progressing. I always thought that because we did not have the technology it was OK to just “carry on as normal”. BUT it is not. I am very thankful that I am still around - I have had type 1 for 56 years now. I do hope everyone follows the good examples on this great website
Sheila.
Sheila

Heck I went over 20 years with T1 without seeing a doctor. I love my minimed.

rick phillips