A Metaphor for green diabetes management practices

The future depends on what we do in the present. Mahatma Gandhi This was supposed to be a blog post about going green in your diabetes management practices. I have been mulling this idea for sometime and I just could not find the right angle with which to approach it, all that changed however when I came across this story about Jill West, her daughter Kacey and the Diabetes Sweeties team (Diabetes Sweeties blog).

In a butterfly flaps its wings in China kinda way, it surely became my once elusive angle and a small highlight of their wonderful and courageous life with diabetes.

Jill’s daughter Kacey was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in July of 2008 at the age of 8 and I personally cannot even begin to imagine all the challenges she faces as a parent with a diabetic child. For those of us who were diagnosed as adults, it is a completely different set of rules believe me and I really applaud her for her efforts on all things especially those that we all should be doing like raising money for the JDRF.

Congrats are in order for team Diabetes Sweeties as well, At the JDRF award ceremony last night, Kacey received 3 awards:

1. She got the GOLD level award for teams that raise $2500-$5000.
  2. She also got the Golden Sneaker Award for raising over $1000 on her own and
  3. Won the t-shirt contest too

An interesting thing about Kacey that tickled my fancy was a project she has been on since October of 08 which is when she decided to save all the test trips she uses on a daily basis. The Ones that haven’t grown legs as her mother aptly puts it, and what does she do with all those test strips you ask?
Which by the way are a whooping 2238 at last count.

Kacey happens to be quite an artist and she makes great works of art.

curediabetes angel

kacey

santa and his reindeercosmo

She used 12x12 scrapbook paper and created a picture with the strips, glued the strips down and then I covered them with clear contact paper. On the back of each paper, her mom wrote the date and they counted how many strips it took to make the picture.
She has about 20 different pictures now and the grand plan is to put them into a 12x12 scrapbook album in order by date.

Here are the links to the rest of the pictures

http://diabetes-sweeties.blogspot.com/2008/11/test-strip-pics.html
http://diabetes-sweeties.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-test-strip-pics.html
http://diabetes-sweeties.blogspot.com/2009/04/more-test-strip-pics.html

Isn’t this the very metaphor for going green in your diabetes management practices?

Now I am sure that is the last thing in Team Diabetes Sweeties minds as they create life long memories that Kacey will always cherish and this story is inspiring to me on so many levels, I just couldn’t help but jump instantly to this thought, because to me, at the very heart of going green in diabetes management is doing something good.

It is not just about Saving Energy, Recycling, using biodegradable products or any of the other things that we do on a daily basis, it is all entirely about saving the planet for our kids and future generations. and I do believe that this story epitomizes the spirit of this concept.

1. How many times do we just flick that used test strip in the trash without a second thought
  2. How many of us will use lancets, once and toss them out
  3. How many of us don't use rechargeable batteries in our meters
  4. How many of us don't buy local produce (consider how much energy is used to bring you that out of season coconut from Nicaragua)
  5. How many of us do not use reusable grocery bags
  6. How many of us use bottled water
  7. How many of us do not recycle at all
  8. How many of us do not dispose of those bloody cotton swabs correctly
  9. How many of us are not teaching our kids the value of going green
  10. How many of us are not truly Inspired to do the right thing
I for one am mutually inspired by a 10 year old girl named Kacey who with no effort at all is doing something great and for her mom Jill for letting me write this story. Keep up the good work.

#################################################################################################### Ronald Gregory is a blogger for the poor diabetic which is a diabetes blog offering tips on effective and successful diabetes management practices. Is your diabetes management in a runt? are you looking for a way to manage diabetes better? then join us and you might get a new insight into diabetes living. www.thepoordiabetic.com ####################################################################################################