A mother claims her kid got a G6 on Medicare a month ago

Anyone heard about that? The child is “special needs” on Medicare and somehow the mom got it approved by Medicare last month.

There are no children on medicare. If you are disabled you are on your states version of medicaid and the G6 is available on medicaid as it is a state run program not federal. Now if the so called child is really of age to be on medicare then that is a different story.

I was just talking last night to a friend of mine who’s retired and on Medicare, who got a G6 a week ago. She was expecting just her regular refill of G5 transmitter & sensors, and a G6 set came instead. She called Dexcom and they said, oops, it was a mistake. They sent her a G5 set, but didn’t say anything about sending the G6 back, so she’s holding on to it. Reports were that they were going to start shipping G6s in October, so maybe a few of 'em are jumping the gun by a week or so.

2 Likes

F A L S E.

1 Like

My Dexcom rep told me that the current Medicare release date for the G6 is October 7. He also advised that does not necessarily mean everyone will get it at that time.

I am totally hypoglycemic unaware and have tried pulling all the strings available to get it sooner to no avail. I am holding off ordering my next supply of G5’s because if I get a new transmitter then I will have to wait another three months to get the G6. He is helping me tread water by providing G5 sensors until October 7.

My transmitter is almost three months old. Will it continue to work or does it die at the end of three months? I am so hopeful that the G6 will stop all the BG swings and keep things on a more even keel.

1 Like

I googled, “Are children ever eligible for Medicare?” I found one Social Security source and one credible non-profit source affiliated with the Medicare Rights Center.

From the Social Security website:

Medicaid and Medicare

Medicaid is a health care program for people with low income and limited resources. In most states, children who get SSI [Supplemental Security Income] payments qualify for Medicaid. In many states, Medicaid comes automatically with SSI eligibility.

In other states, you must sign up for it. And, some children can get Medicaid coverage even if they don’t qualify for SSI. Check with your local Social Security office, your state Medicaid agency, or your state or county socialservices office for more information.

Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, and for people who have been getting Social Security disability benefits for at least two years.

There are two exceptions to this rule. Your disabled adult child can get Medicare immediately if they:

• Have End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring a kidney transplant or maintenance dialysis); or
  • Have Lou Gehrig’s disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis).

From MedicareInteractive.org:

Medicare eligibility for disabled youths

If you have a child under the age of 20, they can only qualify for Medicare if they have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). Additionally, to qualify for Medicare coverage, the child must:

1. Need dialysis on a regular basis or require a kidney transplant
  2. And, have at least one parent who receives or is eligible for Social Security retirement benefits

So, these two sites don’t completely agree but I suspect that there are some children who do qualify for Medicare.

1 Like

Certain children who are disabled are Medicare-eligible. (Don’t ask me how I know …)