A New Dawn, A New Day

Last night my diabetes and I had it out. I think it was trying to play a numbers game with me. I took my insulin at 5:30pm and had my dinner at 6pm. At 8pm I was ready for my routine two hours after dinner check. I got a message on my glucose machine I had never seen before, it said... "HI- ABOVE 500 CHECK FOR KETONES." Naturally, I freaked out. Over 500? WHAT? I have never experienced that before. I calmed myself down and rechecked, hoping for an error. Again, I received the message. Freaking out again, I gathered my syringe and insulin and gave myself a correction does. One hour later I checked my sugar again, this time I was at 345 and I am still receiving the check for ketones message. So, I check myself for ketones and I show I have a trace so I start loading up on water. Where did I go wrong?

I spent most of the night beside myself. How could I let my sugar get that high? What did I eat that my body didn't like? Am I becoming resistant to insulin already? Oh Lord, help me! I ended up having to give myself another correction dose later on. I tossed and turned all night worried about where my sugar levels were heading, and I was completely disgusted with myself.

This morning when I woke up I had a long talk with myself. I told myself I wouldn't freak out like I did last night. I reminded myself that stress only leads to higher blood sugar levels, and I am sure I didn't improve my situation last night by my worrying. There is only so much that I can do, and I am only human. I am going to make mistakes and that is ok. I need to not be so hard on myself, and I need to learn how to give myself a break!

Do you ever find yourself giving YOU a really hard time? Does it usually make the situation worse? What do you do to calm yourself down in difficult or stressful situations?

Be Happy, No Worries!

-Kimberlee