A pleasant surprise for me regarding my new endo

Our endo retired after our last visit so I spent a lot of time deciding who to go to next. My PCP recommended a gal that was in our area but she works just one day a week so I was very hesitant. Long story short, she and her staff are fantastic and now I can remove that worry from my list of worries. They work all the time with Medtronic and Dexcom so getting chart notes and Rx’s to them is a breeze. The assistant is available full time and I can contact them via the Sutter Health Portal.

Actually I think it’s going to be better, staff-wise, than our previous endo of many years. Sometimes I do luck out! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I honestly think that getting the right endo is one of the biggest things we can do for having the best control, support, and general well being for those of us living with, or supporting someone that is living with diabetes.

2 Likes

I could tell from my first appointment that she is very sharp. The only thing she got on me about was me not using the Bolus Wizard. :slight_smile: SO when I can home at lunch I used it. We’ll see… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love my Endo. He’s the first one that I’ve liked in my 37 years of diabetes and doctors. I never used the bolus wizard. My memory is a little foggy, is that the split bolus option or the carb bolus?

1 Like

My current endo had only talked with me for 5 minutes when she correctly diagnosed me as type 1. That was after fighting with the VA as a type 2 for over a year and a half.
For that alone I love her to no end! But she is a T1, and has a T1 daughter. So nothing I say surprises her (other than how informed I am, thanks to this forum! )

6 Likes

No. splitting is dual wave or square wave. either can be done thru the bolus wizard or manually.

What’s so special about using the bolus wizard?

LOL! My wife periodically chastises me for not using it, and now the new endo wants me to use it. It is for those who can’t do math. j/k LOL! Seriously, it does keep track of IOB and the main reason I think she wants me to use it, is to prevent insulin stacking of which I am grossly guilty.

If my ratio wasn’t 10:1, I can see the need for using the BW.

1 Like

Oh, I remember that feature. As memory serves, that option is turned off by default when the pump is first being setup. I do all the calculations in my head. I’m just too lazy to input the extra information into the pump.

1 Like

Same here.

1 Like

I love my endo, he rocks !!!

1 Like

I absolutely use the bolus feature on the X2 to calculate the bolus. But that doesn’t always mean I bolus from it. I will often override it if I feel it is too much/little.
And btw, I usually know what I want to bolus anyways, and the X2 is usually pretty close. Enough that if I want to be lazy, I can input BG and carbs and bolus without worrying about it. I just like to be picky about my bolus most of the time.

1 Like

My laziness is rock bottom, I go into bolus, press on the units icon above the BG/carb options, enter the number of units and I’m done.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing that on my minimed forever… I default select dual wave, and decide if to do all at once, or some extended over next hour or so. Also use quick bolus frequently, so hope a similar option is on Tandem.

1 Like

I do that once in a while. I MADE myself use the bolus calc when I started using the X2 to make it a habit.
After that, I can zip through it super fast. Not as fast as just entering the units, but fast enough to not care about time lost.
I will say, it has saved me from a few hypos. I know I would have stacked too much and went low. So, to me, it’s worth using.

1 Like

I went with my wife to her endo appointment today (same doc as the one I mentioned in the OP). She addressed a ton of things that the previous endo ignored. Now we are both even more impressed with the new endo–even more than when I saw her 2 days ago, but Ive got fewer endo-related issues to be concerned with so the convo was simpler at my appointment.

Sometimes what we worry about (that I wouldn’t find us a great replacement endo for the one that just retired) doesn’t come to pass.

3 Likes

I’m in the process of considering switching endos. Current endo I switched to when last (best) endo retired. Thought I would give new one a chance. But each visit is “ok”, and does good job with meds, rx, etc, but have been a couple rough spots. So do I jump to another in hopes of improvement? Will decide after my next appt.

1 Like

the toughest decision of all–to switch or not. I’m currently debating dropping my urologist of ~20 years, for the one I met the other day, who has the BCG chemical to help reduce my chances of getting more bladder cancers. Why my original uro didn’t bother to maintain stock of BCG which is currently experience a shortage, boggles my mind. I still need another surgery, an endless number of cystos, and 6 weeks of BCG treatment. I figure why have the new one do all but the TURP–I should let he do that as well. His office is far better run and the communication is greater.

2 Likes

My first endo I refused to go back too. My second endo I dearly loved!!! But we moved so I had to have a new one and there is/was no choice other than skip an endo which I did after the first one I dropped. This endo seems fine, I have no problems with her, she’s really nice and has done what is needed etc. I was just a little spoiled lol with having a type 1 endo, NP and nurse before!!! But with the experience of the first endo I would be hesitant to switch easily unless really necessary, because that first one was awful.