A simple cold is not so simple

I sit here at 12:30 a.m. for the third night in a row…waiting for the appointed time to check Ana’s blood sugars. Since Thursday she has had a fever off and on which has been keeping her blood sugars in the 200-300 range constantly for the last 24 hours. For the first time in the 2+ years since diagnosis, Ana skipped both breakfast and lunch today due to lack of appetite. I was tracking her blood sugars all day today and even without food, she was hovering in the low 200s. No ketones, so that is good. But, I can’t figure out why I can’t get her blood sugars back in range with all the corrections I’ve done and so little carbs in her system. It must be her body fighting something (hence fever) and that is what is keeping her high. In any case, I gave her yet another correction bolus around 11:15 p.m., which is why I am up writing now…I need to check her when that insulin peaks and see how she is doing. I guess it’s not just a simple cold, and it definitely is not simple to manage her blood sugars right now.

Thanks so much for your note…well, it was a really rough night. She continued to run high all night despite one correction after the next. We had a pod change yesterday afternoon, so I was suspecting that maybe something did not go right with that…sure enough at 6 a.m. the dreaded long continuous beep sounded from her pod…pod failure, insulin delivery suspended. Needless to say, 6 a.m. is not the best time for a pod change, but I woke Ana up and she was a trooper about it. Her blood sugars are finally on their way down. I honestly thing that everything could have gone wrong in the last several days…has gone wrong!

Any time I’m sick, I have to up my dosages by anywhere from 110-150% of what I normally take. BUT it’s important not to let ketones develop and skipping meals can possibly cause the body to begin to form them (not to mention general illness can cause them), so watch out for that. Test her for ketones throughout her sick days even if her blood sugars are in range.

Thanks Melissa…I think there was a whole combination of mishaps for us in the last 24 hours! Between skipping meals and the pod that failed, she had moderate ketones by morning. She is now back in range, thank goodness, so we still managed to have a nice day and end on a good note. I think she is well on her way to recovery…and I’m hopefully going to get a little more sleep tonight!