A1c dance requested?

This Fourth of July weekend is my 40th anniversary of having type 1. At the time, I had literally never heard of diabetes.
If anybody feels like doing a silent dance of celebration, feel free. At that time, I was sent home with very little information and told to practice my syringe techniques with an orange. I’m very grateful for all the latest technology, and for Forums like this one. A piece of me feels sad about this anniversary, and the more rational part feels happy for the knowledge and support I ended up finding.

8 Likes

I know how you feel. I celebrated my 50 year on Presidents Day a few years ago. Why does it seem to happen on a holiday for many people ? And my mom got to practice on an orange, which I also did a few years later.
Things are so much different today, and I too am grateful for the technology, and treatments that saved my vision in 1985.

3 Likes

Absolutely! I’m not much of a dancer, but that’s a great sentiment and call for conspiracy of community fun. I know quite a lot of aisle twirlers who will gladly celebrate with you even tho none of them are D. It’s a big community, it’s supportive – a good message on this 4th of July.

3 Likes

Wow, 40 years is a long time to have to mess with this condition, although I hope to hit that mark as well (only 2 years under my belt). I’m glad to hear that you found good resources to overcome the shortcomings of your doctor visit. Happy Diabeti-versary!

2 Likes

I was 43 years on June 21. I adore the new tech. Heck, I ate my orange, 3 times.

3 Likes

I won’t dance, don’t ask me
I won’t dance, don’t ask me
I won’t dance madame with you
My heart won’t let my feet do things that they should do

Though my favorite part is the bridge:

When you dance, you’re charming and you’re gentle
’Specially when you do the Continental
And this feeling isn’t purely mental
Cuz heaven rest us, I’m not asbestos
And that’s why…

2 Likes

I know what you are saying, coming close to 40 also (1978 was the year my world changed,I think) ahh old age does wonders for the memories!

2 Likes

A whole lotta love to ya.

1 Like

The great American songbook is the epitome of class and sophistication. What a clever and urbane way of saying “you’re hot!”

In trying to determine what kept longterm T1’s healthy, the Joslin study of the original 50-year medalists determined that: “one of the most common attributes, apparently is that Medalists like to dance!”

I wrote a blogpost inspired by that a few years ago:

1 Like

Oh the memories of the orange! :slight_smile: I learned how to give myself injections with the orange in the hospital. Going on 31 years here and very thankful for the technology we have access to today.

Take care and wishing you many more healthy and happy years to come!

1 Like

Thank you everyone, for your responses and for the company in this particular crazy dance.
Humor does seem to be a key ingredient …

1 Like

Congratulations!! I was 20 when diagnosed with Type 1.
I will celebrate 50 years this year. I, too am extremely greatful for all the latest technology. Never stop DANCING!!!

2 Likes

The orange looks about the same, but syringes sure have changed over the years.

For a while, I used an autojector, which enclosed the loaded syringe, and allowed me to reach additional sites, and just press the button to inject. Tried to find a picture but must be too archaic.

48 years last halloween. another one of us who nailed our diagnosis on a holiday. in last month, i feel better than ever. adopted low fat plant based diet and BGs are so easy to control with out the added fats. its difficult for sure, but not any more than what we deal with everyday! bring on the dance .

1 Like

Hello Sarah_Moulton, T1D for 40 years is a significant achievement. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and I will complete 72 years in Sept, this year. For me at this stage, it is not how many years are involved, it is how well I am doing . I have neuropathy, but have no other diabetes complications, so I am pleased. I hope you are doing well, and that you will double your 40 years with t1D in the years ahead.

1 Like

I dance to help you celebrate. I dance to help me celebrate 51 years with few complications. I dance to celebrate the advances in technology, treatment, knowledge and understanding from others. And I dance because – what the heck – exercise is good for all of us!

1 Like

WOW. 72 years. How amazing and admirable. I bet you have seen really dramatic changes in the technology. Thanks for posting.