a1c of 6.1

Well, I just got my very first post-diagnosis a1c back today. They sent me an email with a link to my test results, and I felt sick to the stomach as I waited for the screen to load. I was so worried it would be something really high and that would mean that what I’m doing right now isn’t enough, and I don’t know how I could possibly work any harder to keep my diabetes in check! But then I told myself, ok Laura, this a1c includes that period when you were first diagnosed and had no clue what was going on, plus all those times you thought a tortilla was less than 10g of carb, and all the breakfasts I had before I knew the power of an egg…

Anyways, I feel better now, so relieved, that I even cried for a few minutes-- didn’t know how much tension I was holding until it was gone. I know I’m in the honeymoon period and that it’ll probably be harder to control my numbers once I’m out of it, but its nice to know I’m doing something right!

What a strange disease this is, where you invest so much of yourself in numbers. Thanks for the support everyone.

Hi Laura, I’m into computer programming stuff, so I have a lot of numbers to munch on and so many possibilities (if you do this then this could happen) :wink: and I would have never thought that in my day-to-day life I would need to crunch those numbers and live calculating ratios also!!! Congrats on your number :wink: it’s a great result!!! I would really love to see that number… someday! Keep it up, you’re doing a great job!!!