A1C Sensor vs Lab

I have been using Dexcom G5 for about 4 months. The sensor said my A1C was 6.7 when I had it tested at my doctor it was 5.9?
Is that about right?

Sounds good to me. I am not sure where you see Dexcom claiming you have a 6.7 A1C. Dexcom Clarity stopped estimating A1C several months ago, when they realized it was just a guideline and could be quite far from what was shown at hospital. What Dexcom now shows is a Glucose Management Indicator, which for some is quite near doctor A1C but for others not so much.

This is what my clarity shows for past 30 days and you will notice there is no mention of A1C and my A1C at the hospital for past several decades at same hospital has always shown me higher than conversion of my meter or CGM readings. A1C’s also vary somewhat between labs if you use more than 1 lab.

1 Like

Like I said, I am new to Dexcom and assumed the Dexcom Management Indicator was the same as A1C.

In a message dated 4/23/2019 4:06:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, tudiabetes@discoursemail.com writes:

CJ114
April 23

edoshea:
Is that about right?

Sounds good to me. I am not sure where you see Dexcom claiming you have a 6.7 A1C. Dexcom Clarity stopped estimating A1C several months ago, when they realized it was just a guideline and could be quite far from what was shown at hospital. What Dexcom now shows is a Glucose Management Indicator, which for some is quite near doctor A1C but for others not so much.

This is what my clarity shows for past 30 days and you will notice there is no mention of A1C and my A1C at the hospital for past several decades at same hospital has always shown me higher than conversion of my meter or CGM readings. A1C’s also vary somewhat between labs if you use more than 1 lab.

Clarity shows my A1c to be somewhat higher than the last lab test. I get tested in 2 days so we’ll so how closely that one matches Clarity.

Nice TIR @CJ114 :+1:t3:

1 Like

I had my A1c tested this morning -

Clarity 6.1
Lab 5.4

This is the first time I’ve made the comparison but I know others are reporting Clarity is generally higher than lab A1c

2 Likes

How can u tell what his upper limit is, Jim?

Probably because we have had a few back and forth messages. My upper limit is 150 mg/dl

2 Likes

Thank you, appreciate it. Now to see if I can keep that going over the next few weeks on airport food, airline food and unknown foods in China. Lots of healthy food in China but they love to douse sugar and related all over as “special sauces”, “special flower teas” etc.

1 Like

same as mine (the upper limit–not the TIR). Nice going!

1 Like

Safe travels Claude :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate it

1 Like

Thank you - Usually fly through Newark so set up my office as soon as plane departs but this time could only connect through San Francisco so will see at what point I go online at 35,000 ft.

There are a number of different ways to calculate A1c, so expect differences.