A1C - Three Months Later

The results of my A1C test came in. This is 3 months after diagnosis. Due to lifestyle changes and medication the number is 6.2%. The doctor was impressed since my first A1C was 8. I am pleased with the results and feel exonerated. All of a sudden the doctor was in full agreement with everything I was doing, including losing weight at the perfect rate for me. Last month (see post) I'd felt disheartened by her words to "lose weight" even though I have been consistently losing weight on purpose.

The week prior to testing, I was nervous about the blood test and almost afraid to find out what the numbers were. My diabetes educator's estimating it would come in below 7 after reviewing 4 weeks of records but I didn't trust the process enough.

May, June & July have been full of finger pricks, cleaning blood off of the kitchen counter and refrigerator, careful food records, number tracking and withdrawal from the habit of grabbing and eating any "low fat, low cal, low point" carb carrying snack that I 'felt" like having.

I wrote a lot in between mini meals and I have been reading about diabetes. I joined a gym. Better than that, I started working out at the gym. I got over the paranoia about getting into the pool with a group of strangers. Basically, I reinvented myself. I have new patterns and continue to make changes.

Changing to accommodate this disorder is hard work. Harder in fact than preparing formula for a colicky baby with allergies or learning about how to care for a cardiac patient because this was about me. The doctor told me that she would like me to continue to lose weight and if I do so I may be able to come off the medication. I need to understand that regardless of the A1C numbers, I am diabetic and it is my responsibility to do all I can to continue on this path each day.

I made a choice to live a better and longer life - in doing so I have made several changes - I am still new at this. A daily food plan and basic self care have a new meaning since type 2 came into my daily awareness.

Now, I am learning about how exercise affects my blood sugar levels and am delightfully surprised. I also am concerned when I feel dizzy from a sugar drop and I am confused about what eat to counter a low. My numbers have rarely gone into the 80's. But they have done that a couple of times. When they are there I feel like crap. I feel light headed at 101 - I don't understand that. I thought that 101 was more a "normal" number.

My diabetes educator tells me I don't have to concern myself with carrying glucose tablets, orange juice, or a quick fix for sugar lows, but I have a can of juice nearby whenever I am doing cardio. I don't like feeling vulnerable and dizzy. I have fallen twice at the gym.

I don't like wondering if I am going to get into trouble with a hypoglycemic response. I tell myself, it's all new-give it time. My body is adjusting to a lot of changes - medication, weight loss, & consistent exercise. I tell myself it is what it is and be patient as I adjust to changes. As I try to learn what the next best thing to do is, I continue to reach out and share. My diagnosis is just over 3 months old. I find that I am grateful knowing I have this Type 2 diabetes for many reasons. Not the least of which is to have a community at TuDiabetes.org where I am able to ask questions of those who walk the walk.

Congratulations! What a wonderful outlook & attitude.

Takes a bit to get used to normal BG in the 80’s as your body adjusts.

Congratulations Denise! This is a long journey and your doing wonderful and on track.

As far as the hypoglycemic events, a few thoughts. Since you are not on insulin I agree that it is very unlikely you will pass out as a T-2.

But since you have not had normal blood sugars going down below 100 or 90 these will be uncomfortable until you get used to it. I used glucose pills as I can regulate the amount of sugar to take the “edge” off so to speak. I still use them if them from time to time. Dont be afraid to use them if you need to take that edge off. Thats what my educator told me.

This is a very individualized condition Denise. You will find you have to “tinker” with it to determine what you can eat, what a low feels like to you and so on.

Again Congratulations and keep up the great work!

Congratulations on a GREAT A1c!!! It sounds like it was the result of hard work and discipline. The good habits that you have developed will start to feel more normal and you will feel healthier for these good choices! Keep in up! In my experience, perseverence is the greatest challenge, but it sounds like you have what it takes! :slight_smile: