About Diabetic Diet Schedule

What is the most suitable diet schedule for a new bee diabetic person?

Do you tend to go high in the morning? That’s usually the trickiest time - breakfast because many of us tend to go high in the AM. Are you a breakfast eater?

1 Like

Honestly, having schedules for eating is very old school. With today’s insulins, you don’t necessarily need to have set meals and snacks like we did 25+ years ago. That being said, I agree with @mohe0001 - breakfast can be hard; even low-carb breakfasts can make people’s blood sugars spike. Just depends on YOU.

3 Likes

@alexreman. Welcome to TuDiabetes. Alex, your question is great. Let me re-phrase it to verify I am understanding. What meal times work best for a diabetic?

@mohe0001 has started to gather info to start based on the way your body acts with highs & lows interlaced with your favorite meal of the day.

Each of us is an individual and our bodies process food, medications, activity, & rest differently even though we are all the same species. So, health care needs to be individualized to meet the needs of the individual. Here are some questions to add

1. What do you and your doctor believe in terms of calories, carbs, protein, & fat?
  2. Do you have any other dietary needs, practices, food preferences/choices, food budget, religion, or shift work entering the equation?
  3. How are you and your doctor working on keeping you health blood sugar wise? Which is in play here, diet, exercise, oral agents, injections (which drug), continuous glucose monitor, and/or insulin pump?

For me, I eat a couple of P3 snacks during the day, consume a bagged salad with a protein at 4 PM, & another P3 snack near bedtime. I am on a Tandem t:Slim X2 with CIQ and a Dexcom G6 CGM. Every six weeks or so, I splurge for a piece of super rare steak as my salad protein.

Hope this helps. Keep sharing. It is how we learn.

1 Like

Welcome to TuDiabetes, @alexreman. We all differ in what and when we eat. Your job is to figure out what is best for you. Your doctor and others can offer standard advice or what works for them but that remains ignorant of what your body says.

One of the classic practices that I learned on this forum is to eat to your meter. That simply means that you eat what you’d like or normally do and measure you blood sugar with a fingerstick meter to see what your body has to say about what and when you eat.

Using the eat to your meter regimen, it’s typical that you would fingerstick just before eating then again at intervals such as one, two, and three hours after eating. Then you can judge whether that food or that time day is problematic. I personally don’t like to see after meal blood sugar rises above 140 mg/dL or 7.8 mmol/L.

As @mohe0001 says, mornings can be difficult to control after meal blood sugars. Over the years, this caused me to eat later and later in the morning so that now I eat my first meal around noon. I still drink my coffee with heavy cream when I arise and don’t really miss that early first meal.

The eat to your meter regimen is all about your personal diabetes data, being aware of it and acting on it in a way that benefits you personally, not simply to your doctor’s preference or what might work for someone else.

Eat to your meter is a potent technique that has stood the test of time. Good luck!

2 Likes

If you are insulin resistant in the morning and tend to go high (we call this Dawn Phenomenon), you can always fall back on protein. There are times when I simply cannot eat any carbohydrate in the morning. Another alternative is to take your insulin an hour before you eat breakfast (or 1/2 hour, or whatever time period works for you). That will give the insulin a chance to ‘kick in’ before the food. We call this “pre-bolus-ing.”

Bolus = short term, meal insulin.
Basal = long term, background insulin.

But, many people pre-bolus all their meals. That will generally help lower your post meal sugars (we call those postprandial sugars). For example, if you check your sugar an hour after you eat, and its BG=250, you might pre-bolus and be able to get it to peak around BG=190. If your meal dose is correct, then you should see an almost identical blood glucose 2 hours after you eat, as you did right before you ate/dosed anything.

Sorry about all the jargon. We can see this is your first post because the website places a flag over your post, so we don’t start speaking diabetes-ese to ya. We have our own language. If we use words that don’t make sense, just tell us and someone will explain.

1 Like

Welcome Alex!

Your profile shows you are from Gurgaon, Haryana. In india, correct ?

Most here are American, so your choices may not be the same. Can you give more details, are you on insulin ? How long?
Type 1 or Type 2?

At one time in US, a rigid “diabetes diet” was used as guideline. But today, with newer insulins, many diabetics can eat what non-diabetics eat, if they have knowledge, tools and medical supplies/drugs to help keep their blood glucose (BG) in range. So everyone uses a diabetic diet schedule that works for their situation.

3 Likes

The most important thing for me is timing my insulin.
I need to take my insulin 15 min before I eat. But less in I’m walking around before.
Other than that I don’t schedule my meals. I just remember to inject ahead.

2 Likes

Like some above have said, eating to your meter, learning how your body reacts to different foods at different times of the day is quite important to deciding what to eat and when.
One other thing I would say is (if you use insulin) to keep in mind the exercise you will be doing in relation to meals and snacktimes. Having insulin on board while exercising can be challenging.
Finally, if you tend to eat smaller, more frequent meal, careful about “stacking” insulin-injecting more insulin when last dose is still in action. For most fast acting insulins this might be 3-5 hours. Fiasp and afreeza might have less of a “tail”.

Welcome to tuD. :wink:
I have been t1d for ten years and I got so much help on this forum-absolutely lifesaving.

2 Likes