About to do something stupid

@mohe0001. You need to bring your friends along as wingmen. In return you can be their beard when you go clubbing or out on the town.

2 Likes

Hope that you are doing ok Dave. It is bad enough having to have a procedure done.

1 Like

or

Till There Was You

1 Like

What happened?

Was it the IV or the dye that scared you off? Or both @mohe0001?

I think they can knock you out if need be…or sometimes happy pills or shots.

Its the IV. I don’t do IVs well at all. I simply cant imagine a scenario where I keep my composure for 1 hour of IV medications. I haven’t even had a1c blood draws in a few years, since they started using finger sticks. It took me by surprise.

hmmm…they did mention that as a possibility - some kinda sedative.
They might have to put me completely under, like they used to do to my alley cat.
I am a bit worried about what I might do to them if I am not fully incapacitated, just altered enough to be dangerous.

Today I’ll ask if I can just not do it. I dont have a brain tumor. They are just checking all the boxes associated with epilepsy.

2 Likes

My veins are great. I’m easy to stick.

But, its weirder than that. My brain is broken with regards to veins and IV needles.
Its always been this way. Its a known quantity for me. If I’m not fully incapacitated, I fight with the medics. As soon as I regain any sense at all, I start formulating plans to pull the IVs and break out of the hospital. I could probably tolerate hospital care just fine, were it not for the IVs. IVs are the bane of my existence.

The only reasonable theory that I have ever heard is that during initial diabetes diagnosis, in the hospital, they gave me IV potassium - which hurts like the devil. My mom theorized once that, although I have no active memory of diagnosis, my brain and my body somehow remember that. She said that I screamed bloody murder during the potassium IV at the hospital when I was a kid.

If someone even mentions IVs or veins, I just start sweating like a pig. I won’t be able to do it. It kept me from getting my paramedic license. I’ve tried to get over it. Its permanent.

I am not a small human. I’m built like a brick house. I’m worried about what I will do to them if I panic. I might be able to keep my cool for 5 or 10 minutes. But, I will…eventually, go ape sh!t, pull the IV, and make a run for it. If they try to stop me, I may murder them.

Thanks, still waiting for lab results (doc is a bit of a jerk and makes me wait for the appt on the 21st).

3 Likes

21st means you will still get it in by the end of the year - less out of pocket.

I’m on a mad dash - 4 appointments in 10 days. I will pay NOTHING!!!

2 Likes

@mohe0001 Ask them if you really need the test first. If you do tell them you have a phobia of IV’s, that you go nuts. They can knock you out by a shot or a pill,

I know I hate getting knocked out, I start to get really nervous and my BP starts to climb, so they always come over with a shot, a pill or they knock me out early. One time they gave me a happy pill and it didn’t work so they gave me another one. I didn’t remember much after that but my husband said I was talking a mile a minute, mostly about how it turns out I could have have some water earlier in the day and I didn’t know.

They can solve it if they have to.

1 Like

You could probably work with a CBT-trained therapist to get over the IV fear through exposure therapy. Sounds like it interferes enough with routine medical care for that to possibly be worth it. Definitely would need to be exposure therapy with someone who knows what they are doing in that regard to be any good though.

1 Like

Yea, I can’t say that it has helped to have a bunch of instructors, over the years, yelling at me while I tried to give IVs, or threatening to put one in my face if I didn’t move faster. Lots of exposure. Not much therapeutic value.

I’m listening to Rphil2’s song until pharmacy rush hour is over…then I will try again. As a backup plan, I will probably get a high blood pressure med prescribed tomorrow…just in time for the weekend!

1 Like

Wish I had your veins mohe! I had labs done this morning. My naturopath ran 31 tests which came to 22 tubes of blood. Only 2 pokes so I was very pleased.

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thats a blood bath, Marilyn!!!

They should be ashamed of themselves. Are they building a Marilyn clone in the back room? Why the heck would they need so much blood?!?!?!?! Its wanton blood lust.

3 Likes

I flee from MRI’s every chance I get, claustrophobia is my thing, even the open MRI machines are to close for me, I actually removed myself from one of those mid-scan. but there is a way around almost everything, I have discovered an upright MRI machine where you sit or stand and can look out at the world during testing. It still rattles my nerves but I can manage long enough to get through a scan.

3 Likes

LOL, my naturopath is very thorough and wants to do all the regular tests, and also ones my GP wouldn’t consider doing.

1 Like

I once had 26 tubes taken. All of the other blood techs stopped working and stood around watching. Clotting studies after an unusual MI.

2 Likes

Naturopath? Sorry, but they are a bunch of hooey. The tests they run are not scientifically-based or proven. Don’t waste your time, money, and BLOOD!

1 Like

Sorry Allison, I definitely don’t agree.

What has your experience been?

My father in law went to one (a chiro, I believe, as well as naturopath) and this crackpot guy gave him a bunch of tests that printed out a pretty chart, but it didn’t make any sense. I was sad for him, wasting his money on that. He eventually went to a real physician and was diagnosed with a real condition and was treated for it. I just don’t understand how people can believe what chiros/naturopaths have to say when there is literally no evidence (research) to back it up.