About us

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 8. It was really scary because we had no idea what diabetes was. Our family all had the flu so we thought that she was sick with the flu. After a week I had that gut feeling that something was not right. She had lost weight and was so thirsty and going to the bathroom a lot. I took her to the Dr. and her blood sugar was almost 1000!!! In the hospital she went and our lives have changed forever. She is now 10 and started using the pump 5 months after she was diagnosed. She is such an inspiration and never lets anything get her down. The first few months I was so overwhelmed with everything. The 5-7 shots a day and all the blood checks and Carbs. The lows and highs that scared me, the night checks(midnight&3a.m) and the feeling that this will never end. Not to mention that we have 3 other children to care for. We live in a small community and she was the only child with type 1 in our school and community. No one really understood what we were going through. But now life is back to “our normal” and we take the ups and downs together as a family. Our 16, 3 and 5 year old know so much already about diabetes and I hope they can help educate people about their sister. She(Ciara) already does this on a daily basis.