Accepting the challenge of diabetes

Think Outside The Box
It’s Gone Anyway

I am sure it comes as no surprise to anyone here that diabetes and its complications can be enormously challenging. They can cause great upheaval and massive changes to our own known world. All of a sudden things are different. In just minutes our world can transform into something we are entirely unfamiliar with and unprepared for. Things have changed.

As we go through the process of understanding what we need to do with this new information many things will necessarily need to change. The food we eat. Our approach and attitude towards exercise. There are new realizations every day about what may or may not be different now that we are dealing with diabetes. So many questions. So very many questions. And often there are just as many answers. Since most of these questions and their answers represent change, most of us push back against them at some level. It’s only natural. It’s human nature. We don’t like change. Change, for some of us, is terrifying. But, change we must.

With, or without diabetes, change is inevitable in life. Life itself is constantly changing. We grow up from children. We grow in knowledge and gain perspectives. Other people enter our lives, we are faced with new challenges and opportunities. Diabetes simply brings a greater volume of change at a more rapid pace than most other life experiences. Some change is good change. Some change is unwanted but necessary. Most of the changes diabetes brings to our lives fit the latter. These kinds of changes can be difficult or nearly impossible to come to grips with. Let alone, successfully implementing them.

Like them or not there are two basic ways we can face change. We can ignore it and fight it resist to the bitter end. Or, we can acknowledge it, recognize it for what it is and choose to accept it as a challenge for personal growth. I have found for myself that choosing to look at even the worst of these changes as an opportunity for growth, to reinvent myself and my world, far more rewarding and effective. Many of these involuntary changes shatter my old norms. That comfortable box I have lived in is gone. Trying to address these changes from the perspective of that box is futile. The box is broken. With the right attitude this is a good thing.

5 Likes

I can’t remember who said it, or I would give them full credit. But . . .

“Change is inevitable and a fact about which we have no choice. The only choice we get to make is whether we manage change, or it manages us.”

1 Like

The box is broken is right on!! Some involuntary changes have come along and busted up mine bit by bit. Instead of staying inside and whining and feeling sorry for myself I climbed up and burned the whole thing and found living outside to be far healthier, less sad, and offeing much more. It’s light and bright and hope reins outside the box. This post made me very happy today, so thanks very much, Randy :slight_smile:

There’s no magic bullet of acceptance or change that will make this disease easier to deal with, unfortunately. You can change everything and btw for many it has to be changed every hour of the day and still end up with a big mess. But certainly doing something is better than doing nothing and ignoring it.

Thanks Karen. I’m glad that you liked this. It is easier to swim with the current than against it. The changes take place whether he like it or not.

1 Like

Hi meee. You are right. No magic bullets here. Although, I do have to say that accepting all these changes and facing them honestly actually does make dealing with diabetes easier than if we resist and fight them. They don’t care. They will do what they do regardless. For me, as David said, this puts me in charge of them instead of the other way around. No matter how difficult or challenging my diabetes might be.

Re-inventing Self…Yes…That is the essence of being engaged with the diabolical whimsy of Diabetes…Liking it…Not required…I don’t…I have re-invented myself waaay too many times already and I am old and tired…

So go for it kids. I will cheer you on from the sidelines…Judith in Portland…

As if forced change wasn’t enough diabetes gives us no time to ease into it. I was on a tight timeline to make these changes happen because my body had already been damaged by D. I felt as if I was making changes on the outside easily but inside I was trying to catch up. Over time, I was able to sync my inner being with the new strategies of handling life I’d had to adopt. Also, it is an unusual change process where everything around you stays the same. When I think of other situations of change in my life they tended to include changes around me as well making it more intuitive to evolve myself at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks Judith and Nini. I get it Judith. I have had to reinvent myself over and over as well. I will be 61 this fall and here I am completely reinventing my life. Myself is still the same. My life not so much. After I got over being negative about it all I looked at it as an opportunity for new adventure. And that it is.

I never thought about it from that aspect Nini. But, you are absolutely right. It is different in that way with everything else staying the same on the outside. Thank you.

1 Like

[quote=“Randy5, post:5, topic:53453, full:true”]
Thanks Karen. I’m glad that you liked this. It is easier to swim with the current than against it. The changes take place whether he like it or not.
[/quote]You are welcome! Also, I want to say that swimming against the current is a good work out, and a chance to challenge oneself. Changes and challenges don’t have a chance to cause chaos with this gal, I tell ya! I am chuckling at the ch theme :smile: