Accidental overdose!

Hi all,

I’m T1, 19 years and going strong, for the first time ever I have taken 2 doses of my bolus which is Toujeo U200.
My mum made me call NHS 111 and they advised I go to a&e but I would much rather manage this at home.
The first dose I took at approx 11pm and then fell asleep watching tv, woke up at 1.30am and took it again, it was only after I injected that I realised!
I’m after advice as I’ve not had this before, I’m worried about getting through the night in case I go low. I’ve set my alarm for every 2 hours to test my sugars, I’m expecting a mega hypo at some point but I’m not sure when! I’m reluctant to go to a&e as I spend far too much time in hospital for my liking as it is!
Sugars were 5.8, I had a glass of full fat coke and some sugary cake, they rose to 9.8, then 13.2 so I’m happy to see it rising rather than falling.
I’m concerned that I’m on the U200 that it’s ‘double concentrate’ does anyone think this will make a difference?
I’m also on a very high dose; 78 units per night as according to my doctors, I’m ‘insulin resistant’ and I’ve always struggled with high sugars. All other forums I’ve read about people taken a double dose, were people taking less than 20 units…everyone is different but as my dose is a lot higher, I’m a bit more worried!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated…I’m probably not going to get much sleep anyway from worry!
Thanks

Toujeo is a basal or long acting insulin. I would not be concerned about Toujeo U200 concentration since 78 units of U200 is equal to 78 units of U100 but half the liquid volume of U100. You didn’t take four times your usual dose, just double - but that’s still a safety concern.

Your big concern should be that you’ve given yourself a double dose. Do you know the duration of insulin action for you? Close and regular glucose monitoring using finger sticks is important. If it were me, I would check my glucose with a meter every hour. You want to make sure you have plenty of low blood sugar treatments handy if you need them.

You’ve already driven your glucose very high so that should help buffer against dangerous hypoglycemia. I would solicit the help of a friend or relative to stay with you until the end of the duration of insulin action timed from your second dose.

7 Likes

Set alarms for yourself every hour or so to check your BG in case you fall asleep. Do you have emergency glucagon on hand? I second Terry’s suggestion to have a friend stay over or even have someone call you every few hours to make sure you’re still OK.

1 Like

You probably asleep, but let us know how you are doing when you wake up.

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies; so far so good, haven’t run into any hypos yet but I’m unsure on the duration of insulin action, it’s happened to my brother before and he’s had hypos in the afternoon, so I’m preparing myself!
I’ve run myself high, as it’s the lesser of two evils I suppose.
Thank you all for the advice x

1 Like