Ada approved?

I read somewhere that ada approves of shakeology
has anybody tried it? I will be trying the chocolate meal replacement drink soon, so far i’ve tried the samples. I like it better then slim fast or diabetes drinks
has anybody had success with meal replacement drink in losing weight?

I’ve seen nothing that this is ADA approved, not that ADA approval means anything.

Save your money. Like everything else out there looking to make bucks on weight loss, this program includes the usual follow a sensible diet, exercise (using their 30 minute & 50 minute DVDs) & replace one meal a day with our magic shake. Nothing new there! Gee, is there any secret to eating sensibly & exercising regularly? At $119.95 month + shipping, it’s another scam.

This shake has fructose, which is not the best choices for diabetics. They throw in a lot of fiber to make low glycemic claims.

You can make your own high protein meal replacement shake (with far less carbs) using unsweetened almond milk, flavoring & whey isolate protein powder (which is what the protein is in this stuff). Toss in some fiber powder & you’ll feel stuffed. And, it won’t cost you $120 month.

Exercise & cut carbs/calories to lose weight.

These types of things are a rip off.

but isn’t fructose low on the gi? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose

fructose is sugar

a natural sugar yes found in fruits

I have to agree with Gerri. I get a 6lb bag of 100% whey protein powder at Costco. I mix it with milk, which is 12g/cup, but you can also make it even lower in carb by mixing with half full cream and half water. Eat it before a meal. I never use a drink as a meal replacement, only as a snack, before and after a workout or as a meal supplement. If you are really doing p90x, it will kick your b*tt and you really should eat to make sure you fuel those workouts. The weight will come off when it comes off and if you do your workouts and eat properly, it will come off.

ps. Although fructose is a mild sweetener and is “low gi” it is converted directly by your body to triglycerides which gets layed down as body fat. Exactly the opposite of what you want.

A carb is a carb is a carb is a carb,

The fructose used in products is in no way like the fructose found in fruit. It is highly refined, and cannot be processed by the pancreas. It has to be processed by the liver, and it gets converted straight to fat. They use the “natural fructose” bit as a ruse, to trick people into thinking it’s healthier.

You can Google fructose to see how harmful this is & how it’s linked to obesity. The fructose in fruit exists with vitamins, minerals & fiber. This is different than concentrated fructose that’s used for sweetening.

I am not a huge fan of Shakeology just because of all the spam I get from them. That makes it bad right there in my books. I like natural foods, but in a pinch I will use whey powder and water. You have to watch the whey powders too because of what they might be sweetened. Check the carbs on the label. Worse case, if you don’t want to waste your money, egg whites have 7 g of protein per unit, so 4 of them will equal 1 scoop of protein powder. Thats a heck of a lot cheaper than 3 bucks a pop with Shakeology.

thanks for all the advice, in the end i will be trying shakeology anyway. I’m pretty much won on the whole 70 ingredients in one and 100 docs approve thing. Can’t hurt to try, the several samples i tried taste really good.

WDC, I get spam from Shakeology also.They’re doing a major marketing campaign to sign up affiliates to sell this stuff.

Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Don’t trust fda or those quacks,i don’t eat or drink anything that is artificial no matter the gi,i have never seen a diabetic drink that don’t have junk in it,i’m living proof.Glucerna is bad for u,if you go on long trip it would be
good to have for emergency,i used to buy it till i read ingredients,stay away from agave,gi is low but the highest in fructose.

Fructose is fructose is fructose, regardless of it’s source. How it’s obtained does not change the chemical structure or final product that we eat. Keep in mind that the same processes are used to refine glucose but we dont think twice about popping glucose tabs.

No sugar is processed by the pancreas and the liver is a primary organ for both fructose and glucose metabolism. Fructose, however, does not require insulin to be utilized by cells which is one of the sources of long term problems with increased fructose intake.

I prescribe to the George Carlin school of thought when it comes to “natural” anything.

There are, indeed, many problems associated with the huge increase in fructose consumption that has accompanied the explosion in the use of HFCS.

I’ve seen studies showing that the threshhold amount of daily fructose intake can range anywhere between 30g to 90g a day before you start seeing definitive negative effects. OTOH, I’ve seen studies showing that intake of 250g a day leads to many of the metabolic issues. I don’t find it surprising at all that there are many issues with fructose consumption considering that it can make up as much as, what, 30% of the typical diet today? That’s crazy.

The results, however, can also be complicated by the fact that a reletively large percentage of people seem to be fructose intolerant. That’s not surprising either. Fructose was never a main source of dietary sugar so being fructose intolerant wouldn’t have been an issue for most people before HFCS became all the rage.

The bottom line? If you’re not fructose intolerant, and keep your fructose intake at even a reasonable level, say, below 30g a day, I don’t think any of even the most brutal research studies out there would say you’ll have a problem,

Fructose is more easily converted to triglycerides than glucose, but i don’t think it’s fair to say that it’s converted directly by your body into tryglcerides. Fructiose a monosaccharide isomer of Glucose. Except for a couple of different enzymes in the glycolysis pathway, it shares the same fate as glucose, so it’s readily used as an energy source by your cells.

The lecture at Tom Naughton’s site (http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/05/27/another-lecture-o…) is very informative. Tom Naughton’s movie “Fat Head” is a hoot, and his sarcastic view of the world coupled with great information makes his blog a great read.

All fructose must be metabolized by the liver. While you are correct that fructose can be converted to glycogen to replenish liver glycogen stores, after that it is converted to triglycerides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose).

And a significant portion of the diabetic population is thought to be fructose intolerant, having a limited ability to digest fructose, the symptoms are gas, bloating and diarrhea. If you get these symptoms after eating a bunch of fruit, you may be intolerant, there is a test.

I would like to add something to this. I love Tom Naughton’s video (I even gave away a copy of it on my blog) and I believe that one could go one step further and talk about the Fructose Intolerance being more geared towards the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) that has replaced sweeteners in manufacturing. I personally believe that it is the culprit for the rise in diabetes cases.

I think, bsc, that it’s very important to point out that fructose will be converted to glycogen first. The problem with fructose in this regard is the lack of a regulatory step in glycolysis that allows the unchecked formation of lots of triglycerides if you ingest lots of fructose.

Whether or not any of it gets converted into triglycerides, however, depends on your rate of fructose intake and your rate of glycogen usage. You have a great deal of control over both of these variables. The number i’ve seen for the capacity for liver to store fructose as glycogen is somewhere around 100g of fructose.

I’ve seen at least one study (small sample size though) which shows that fructose ingestion during submaximal exercise leads to glycogen sparing in the muscles, therefore extending exercise without significantly raising blood sugar levels. The suggestion is that fructose usage by the liver spares muscle glycogen usage, which is important if you are very active.

The point being, if you are active, you’d have to ingest a truck load of fructose before you’d see any significant amount converted to triglycerides.