ADA's New Set of Standards of Care - Psychosocial

Today the ADA released their FIRST position statement and guidelines on the psychosocial aspects of diabetes care. The full article is here: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/39/12/2126

It’s a pretty meaty read. So, tl;dr - the ADA released “standards” that should be adopted by all those that are providing care for people with diabetes. This is the first set of standards that have ever included psychosocial aspects including stress, depression, anxiety and eating disorders. And for the first time it emphasizes that diabetes management is more successful when lifestyle and mental health are both integral components of care.

4 Likes

So very happy to see that the medical professionals are starting to see how mental a chronic condition can be. I really feel many people lose the focus/drive because they just get beat down by the constant failure diabetes can make you feel. I am very glad to say the past 5-6 years, I get a depression screening questionnaire when I visit my medical team. Nice to see the mental side being address like it should be. Diabetes I think is mainly mental.

2 Likes

This is such an important topic. It is long long overdue.

I guess I’m in a cynical mood today. I seem to be obsessing on the “long overdue” aspect. But then, it’s the ADA . . .

Anyway, any step forward is a good step forward. Glad to see this getting increased attention and focus.

2 Likes

I’m with you 110%, @David_dns. They have had some recent high-level staff changes that have me staying rather hopeful…but it’s not easy to do a U-turn in the Titanic.

2 Likes

I love that metaphor. :laughing:

3 Likes

But wasn’t one of those changes to pull in that awful “carbs are swell” person, Hope Warshaw? I have never agreed with anything she has ever said…

3 Likes