Adhesive Reaction

I have some of the IV3000 bandages but after wearing them for less than an hour, they start to peel up. If I take a shower, they just roll into a ball. I wonder if they go bad? I have had them for just over a year. Seems unlikely but you never can tell.

I've had mine for a couple of years without a problem. Are you making sure your skin is completely dry before applying? I had trouble with that. I'd use Bard or a barrier wipe, and then not wait until the skin was completely dry. Also, I pat in the shower vs rubbing. HTH

I have been using the barrier wipe and still got scars from the cannula thing from the dex.

I have heard of the Bard Barrier wipe and I have never tried them. I have also heard of people not having success with them.

A wipe that leaves a magic protective barrier does not sound like it would have the reliability of solid bandage shiel like the I-3000, 1-hand. It is a little tricky to make the small hole in it for the canula for any of the pump systems or for the Dexcom CGM, but I have found that it works for me.

And I have a great deal of allergies, especially to the DexCom adhesive.

Usually the peel up is a result of applying it too soon after using an IV prep wipe, or with skin that is not freshly clean and dried. After using the IV prep wipe on clean skin it is recommended that you wait 1 minute before applying the I-3000 1hand bandage (or your favorite dvice with adhesive.

After I do that, I then wipe the top of the bandage to be sure that the edges stay down and also to prep the bandage for my DexCom after another minute passes.

I try to be careful but i get peel ups also. So if I can I take a shower of clean off the area and then use the IV Prep Wipe over everything, and then slap another I-3000 over everthing. And that usually keeps everything in place.

Do they age or wear out? probably. heat will do it. lack of humidity will do it, age will do it. They only cost about $5 for a box, but the supply companies can charge your insurance $50 for the same box.

Whover you get them from, say that they are failing and you want them to exchange what you have for a fresh box.

That should take that variable out of the equation.

Tom

Update:

With my careful use of my custom barrier system that I have described here in this forum, I have failed. about day 5 the itching becomes more than a distraction.

tonight I pryed up the upper side of the whole barrier sensor system and sprayed benedryl skin spray into the location of my current DexCom sensor insertion. It is now a couple of hours later and it no longer is giving me trouble.

Obviously, my "Barrier" solution is not good enough. I will call DexCom on Monday. Again. But this is unacceptable. And I still have my Medtronic system. I like the DexCom system and especially working in concert with the OmniPod system. But, it may be time to retreat to what does work most of the time. I have had some repeated failures with the OmniPods and have had to have them replace by OmniPod. OmniPod hasa done this very well and is very good in their customer support area. As is also DexCom. But I will have to make calls next week. I cannot have these issues compromise the peace of mind I was getting with a pump and a CGM. And if that means a tube for now, so be it.

I will post again once I know more. Good working CGMs take so much anxiety out of the Type 1 Diabetics life.

Tom